2.08.2013

Metal mania

If you've been following my blog, you know that I have a fondness for metal...and not just any metal...rusted, corroded, dilapidated...is really the best.  Falling in line right behind rusted metal...beaten up wire...its all steel...just in a more malleable form!

In January I was being so good about getting organized...I went through a mountain of magazines to pull out pics/recipes/ideas and toss the rest in the recycling bin...this picture caught my eye...















and got me thinking...I could make a wire cloche...I got to work...





















In my basement, I had a large piece of steel fencing...I don't even remember where this came from since I know that its sold in BIG rolls and I don't have the rest of the 100' roll...but this piece would be perfect for this project...









First I had to cut it down to a managable size...this is heavy gauge steel...my lineman's pliers would be too tedious for this job...time to get out the Dremel drill...












I cut out a section that would work for the wire cloche...






































and then began the task of eliminating the wire pieces I didn't need...
my Dremel with the cut-off disc attachment was a lifesaver...






































I have all of these smaller wire pieces I removed...of course I'm saving them...they could be useful some day!

Next it was time to shape the wire...you'll notice that I left the wire extending on one end, while on the other end, I cut the wire flush...I bent hooks in the extended wire end, that would connect and wrap around the flush end and hold the cloche together.
Next I had to deal with the top portion...after eliminating the horizontal wire from the top tier, I was able to bend the wire to meet at an apex...giving a slight angle to each end ensured that the pieces fit nicely together...and see all those sharp nubs...where I cut off the cross wires...I used my Dremel, this time with the grinding tool attachment, to smooth the wire surface...
 




Using a rubber band to bind the ends together worked well...and acted as a rubber gasket to firmly hold the finishing knob in place...

 
Finding some sort of knob to finish off the top was a challenge...the bound wires were too large in diameter to fit inside of the opening of an old doorknob, my first choice of a suitable top...


Scrounging around my studio, I found these metal knobs that were mostly likely a machine part...the diameter was perfect to slip over the top and the rubber band held the knob firmly in place...






But there was a gaping hole on the top...initially I thought of finding a large button to cover the hole...








I happened to pick up a metal bottle cap from my junk pile...not only did it fit the hole perfectly...but it snapped into place as snug as could be...





And with a little spray paint, it was ideal!


Luckily, there was a sunny day this week...which makes it so much easier to take pictures...
its about this time of year that I get very itchy for spring...which I have nothing to complain about since we've had minimal snow this year...but plenty of gray...
eggs and feathers...the promise of spring and life re-awakening...
Also high on my metal love list...along with tarnished silverplate...metal knitting needles...all the jewel tones...they make great plant stakes...and sign holders...I guess someday I could even learn to knit...
Linking up to Funky Junk Interiors SNS...what else can I find to inspire me...

23 comments:

  1. I love how you could "see" doing this...and then you were able to make it come to life. That's true creativity!! And I love how you've brought spring into focus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is "Wow" you are amazing. You see in metal and wires what I see in old book pages and dryer sheets. Great post. Your photos are wonderful as you took us to the end results. I found you at Saturday Nite Special. And I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a great tutorial!
    The possibilities are numerous.
    My brain wants steel fencing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep...incredible!! Time to get out my metal shears and soldering iron...and build some cages myself!!! I don't know if I've done so, but I need to send you a pic of the last cage I built.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to see that too, Dave!

      Delete
  5. One of your BEST creations. Love the needles. I will teach you to knit anytime

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of your BEST creations. Love the needles. I will teach you to knit anytime

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! I've been making glass cloches and started a Cloche board on Pinterest...Needless to say I'm pinning this!! :)
    Thanks for the insperation!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, what a success! And I love that you save those scraps of wire "for later'. I do the same. Great cloche, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cloche and great tutorial. I know what you mean about the sunny days for picture taking. Sooo much easier with a little cooperation from the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! I collect knitting needles, too...and use them for everything but knitting! Maybe someday...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Amy, Wow,you are amazing. I knit, crochet, (even macrameyed, sp?,(many many moons ago)) all things with string, yarn etc. Never once thought of using my needles for tag holders, or finding a bottle cap that fit perfect!!! Are you going to make more for your venture to Spokane? Thanks for sharing your process, guess I should put a dremel tool on my list of wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes Emilou...put a dremel on your wish list...its an amazing tool...especially helpful with smaller type projects...I love mine!
      p.s. what is the past tense of macrame...interesting question!

      Delete
  12. Amy, I say clapping with glee, you fill my head with ideas and lightness to my dreams! Rust, metal, string............

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a gorgeous idea! Thanks for your great tutorial, Amy!

    Enjoy the day!
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWESOME! You never cease to amaze me!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love yours! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is great! came over from your FB post on it.

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. okay...didn't realize that your first basket post was older...and "see" that you definately CAN make a cloche out of wire...I just didn't quite have the vision....I.Love.This.
    Thank you!! I will pull out the wire again at some point, and will definately reference your blog if I can get something worthy of posting to mine...right now I am just so excited that all that wire I bought can be made into something beautiful...-aimee

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails