2.03.2013

Finding my essence

As I stated in January...my word for the year is "essence"...
to succinctly define my art and the style I want to pursue...





Cleaning off my work table inspired me to begin seeking this essence now (I learned from my word in 2012, begin, to just start and not delay...fending off procrastination...)  I am not a fan of expensive art supplies nor involved creative procedures...I do admire the collage artists who can take the most ordinary of scrap papers and turn them into a layered provocative work...I began...




Years ago...when I decided that I was going to take my art seriously, I focused on four main principles...
these guideposts seemed a good place to start...












































I let the pieces of paper tell me where they wanted to go...I know this sounds odd...but I can't explain it any other way...there is something innate about it...

I worked in silence that afternoon...as I often do...I have so much going on in my head, I don't need additional noise or distraction...

and in the end...
Quiet Afternoon #1   Amy Duncan   2013








































At the time, there was a Quiet Afternoon #2 and #3...with #2, I tried doing some painting over the surface...it didn't go well...I chopped it in half, threw away the painted portion...the other half may resurface at some point.  With #3, I have a good start...and thinking of incorporating some stitches with my sewing machine as texture...the idea of using my sewing machine to marry paper with thread and cloth is an idea that has been nudging at my edges of my consciousness, so best to listen...



Today I'm one of 10 artists included in The Altered Page's section of The Pulse, Tell All...where artists share what they wished they knew when they started...this is the last installment of this edition of The Pulse...can't thank Seth Apter enough for both including me and my work as well as giving support and encouragement to many other artists...I encourage you to hop over to his blog to read all about it...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails