2.12.2013

Creativity unleashed

Early in January, I had a eureka moment...As I was reading Cate Prato on the ClothPaperScissors blog describing having a Valentine party...I thought what a brilliant idea...so right then & there, I began my planning...






And on Saturday, I had a Valentine Art Party with 10 of my friends, all of whom are quite talented, creative and inspiring...

My other motivation for hosting a party was that I realized I have a ton of art supplies...and having an art party is a good way to use up a bunch of stuff and send it out the door with good souls...










Gathering up the supplies...






































and turning my living room into the supply station...



























Setting up the work tables in the dining room...and providing the necessary tools.  I added ambiance with paper hearts cut from scrap paper, stitched together into streamers and hung from the dining room light.  I also made a folder for each friend...a kraft paper folder was stitched up on one side to form a pocket to hold valentines securely on the way home and a name tag, made from chalk paint applied to a piece of paper packing tape, was the finishing touch...






































Of course no party would be complete without treats...including chocolate fudge brownies. 
My weary amaryllis was in full bloom for the day...
Once everyone arrived, there was a flurry of activity and plenty of creative buzz...
I love to see what bubbles up from the creativity pool when a diverse group of individuals are presented with the same supplies...
Shelley of From the Alley to the Gallery made a bracelet while Kate of Full Circle Studio made a beeline for the vintage photos...Jody of Latitude Studios took the cover off one of the books I had supplied...I was thinking people would want to use the vintage pages...never occurred to me that someone would use the book cover for the foundation of their valentine...Stacie of Bailey's Bliss brought along a couple of blank canvases...which were quickly transformed with layers of paper and paint...
and in the end...many interpretations...but all special valentines...
 
We had so much fun we're thinking of meeting up on a regular basis...
to create...to support...to encourage...to enjoy...and isn't that what art is all about...


 

my heart photo was edited with kk texture edith at multiply 30% opacity...

27 comments:

  1. You are such a trooper! I had a ball! Thanks so much for inviting me into your group. Just one thing would have made it better ,,, you were too busy waiting on us to enjoy making your own art! Next time!!! Thanks again! Shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous idea! Each creation is unique and stunning and the idea of being able to use whatever is at hand is the best kind of buffet! That you are thinking of making this a regular event keeps the creativity flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, what fun!!! With that many creative people in the room I'll bet it was truly a blast. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous idea! Wonderful to see how creative minds can just play and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Angela...but isn't all creative play fun?!

      Delete
  5. OMG, how fun was that! I would have had a great time just watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Roxi...but I'm sure you would have felt the need to jump in and create too!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you all had a wonderful time at the Art Party, Amy !
    Love your heart photo, so beautiful !
    For Thursday Happy Valentine's,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this looks like the best day! Creativity with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we had a wonferful time. thank you amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - I'm so happy you and Chris joined us!

      Delete
  9. What a great idea, Amy! You obviously had a marvellous time and produced lovely Valentines. Happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow -- what an undertaking! Love the idea of so much creativity coming together in one place. Awesome results. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy - it was the best day ever...can't wait until we do it again!

      Delete
  11. Oh how fun!! I enjoyed just "dropping by" and looking through the window. Looks like everyone enjoyed the "make and take". Your hosting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Beverly for stopping by...even if you just looked through the window!

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful time and such beautiful creations! So glad I could join you through your blog. I do the same thing on a very small scale with two friends about once a month. It's always fun to see what direction they go off in once I provide the materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christie - glad to hear that you have your own mini-version of an art party...it is fun...I recommend it to everyone!

      Delete
  13. Amy! Let me know if you have room to squeeze one more in next time!! Looks like a fabulous time! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle - I will keep you in mind - you would be a great addition!

      Delete
  14. oh my... i would LOVE to be there... that's my kind of party!!

    love.... xo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this idea, I try to do this with a friend on a regular basis.

    Everyone's creations are just beautiful, such talent! Wish I had been there to watch all the creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - glad you do with this another friend regularly...but it would be easy to add a few more...or something to try with travel trailer group - that would be fun!

      Delete
  16. My goodness that looks like fun! I hope you do keep getting together. I think it would be therapeutic. Ha, not that you need therapy! Just enjoyable I really mean. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohhh how fun! Love the hearts stitched together - what a creative idea. And your photo turned out awesome for TT! Luvit!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a V-day event with my art friends too...but you did a much better job photographing yours. : ) Lovely images everyone made! Visiting from TT.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea Amy. It looks like this was a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails