7.20.2010

Compelled

Over the last couple of years, I have felt compelled to purchase these packages of lawn chair webbing - you know the stuff.  There was something about the texture, the colors, the patterns.  Wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with it, but felt that the plan would reveal itself in time.  One day I had the eureka moment - totes!  Totes for the market, totes for the beach, totes for the garden - whenever or wherever.  It seemed like the perfect idea - it would be a re-usable bag, it would be weatherproof, it would be strong - it would be recycled (or upcycled as the current lingo goes!)  I gathered together all my different colors and patterns.













I started by cutting equal lengths of the webbing and sewing the strips together.  This gave me a reinforced piece of "fabric" to construct the tote.  Since the edges don't fray, I didn't have to worry about finishing off the seams.  I went to work on my trusty Singer...













an aside - I love my Singer sewing machine...it is an old 1950's cast iron model that I have had for over 30 years - simple straight stitch - nothing fancy.  My mother taught me how to sew when I was young- I have sewed ever since.  I used to make my own clothes - now I mostly make art.  The machine is indestructible - I have used it to sew everything from silk organza to lightweight metal.  I took it with me to London and scoured the city to find the adapter plug so that I could use it without blowing up the flat.  When my mother passed away, I got her cast iron Singer - the machine I learned on - there is something to be said for the tried & true!

I used different colors to bind the edges and add the handles.















And voila!  A tote ready to take anywhere you want to go!





















These totes will be for sale at my space at Faded Elegance -
stop by soon!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails