9.24.2011

Metal under wraps







I love vintage wallpaper...
I love metal...
I love taking something and making it into something else...
why not combine all three together!










I picked up these wooden frame-like objects at an estate sale about a year ago...I thought the shape was interesting...they were a dollar each...I didn't know what they were but thought they could be made into something interesting...
Initially I thought of making them into corkboards...but when I found thin pieces of MDF that fit within the back recess framework exactly, I had another idea...
I decided to make metal message boards...but line the front metal face with vintage wallpaper to give it a decorative look...I went to work...




First I painted the topside of each frame with a green tone of paint...I left the sides alone, so that the dark brown edges offered contrast...







Next I glued the galvanized metal sheets to the MDF using Liquid Nails adhesive - two 8" x 12" metal sheets covered the MDF completely...




After the glue had dried overnight, I roughed up the metal surface with 60 grit sandpaper - this gives the surface "tooth" to hold the glue that binds the wallpaper so it will adher to the metal surface...



I used three different patterns of wallpaper for the three boards, all in shades of green.  Its been relatively easy to find single rolls of vintage wallpaper...its not enough to do a room (or even a wall in most cases) so these lone rolls are cast aside...but they are perfect for art projects!  I cut a piece of wallpaper for each board, extending beyond the edges so there was plenty of overage.
I glued the wallpaper onto each piece of MDF and let them dry in the sun...I always extend the paper beyond the perimeter and then sand off the edge of the extra paper when it is dry...gives a nice clean finish...






Now that the boards were finished, I had to mount each one into their individual frames.  I used metal strapping tape to fashion a mounting holder...and used wood screws to attach the strapping tape holder to the frame and to the MDF board...
There were pre-existing holes around the edge of the frame...I used the top two holes to thread a length of jute twine through the holes for hanging.  I made three magnets for each board by gluing a magnet round onto the backside of dark wood circles I had...matches the dark wood edge of the frame.
And here are two of the completed message boards hanging in my space at Faded Elegance...and there's a partial view of the lampshade on the table lamp I made from that great green damask print wallpaper and a tiny glimpse of the hanging lampshade I fashioned from the green plaid wallpaper...

I still have three more of the empty frames...I'm thinking of finishing them for Christmas presents for friends...

I'm linking up to Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors...plenty of ideas...amazing amount...now that summer is over, is everyone feeling a creative burst of energy...?!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails