9.12.2014

reflections of a man

Composing a portrait of a person...without an image of that person...but rather a composition of a still life that reflects who this person is...a still life family portrait...this week's exercise in my bestill52 class...

I immediately embraced the idea and my mind went racing...thinking first of my mother and the things I have that would represent who she was...her skill and talent as a seamstress, her ability to cook and to knit...her willingness to fix/repair/remodel whatever was needed around the house...but then I stopped...

and thought...what about my dad...












































In my office, on my bookshelves, I have a large stack of paperbound play scripts...they belonged to my father...who was a devotee of the theater and active in an amateur theater group while I was growing up...









The vintage wire rimmed glasses were a prop for a character he was playing...I no longer remember which play...but when my mom said she was getting rid of them, I quickly snatched them up...you'll notice that they show up often in my photographs...

It was great fun to see my dad perform on stage...so animated and alive...as I've grown older, I think perhaps that he was frustrated with his small town life, the trials and tribulations of raising 6 children, a nondescript middle management job, wanting something more...and that acting on the stage refreshed his soul.  He was an English major in college and instilled in me an appreciation of the spoken and written word...sometimes I helped him with his lines for the play...his notations in the margin remind me of his interpretations...and his decisive handwriting belied a stronger spirit...
































It is interesting how just a few items can indeed define a person...and these many years later make me pause...
and reflect...on who this man was...








































Linking up to kim klassen's Friday Finds...where my find is reflecting on the foibles of the human soul...

24 comments:

  1. This is just stunning Amy!! A lot of inspiration here in your words and photos and perfectly done! I really love this...hope you don't mind if I use some of your ideas here. This project has taken me to a new place in journaling my family, in a different way than doing genealogy. This is a more personal touch, and far more interesting. I'm planning to put all my photos into a Blurb book for keepsake. Love, love, this!! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy you brought your father to life for me how wonderful to have his scripts and glasses I love it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a heartfelt post Amy. Love your imagery and your thoughts about your dad. You were fortunate to have witnessed him in his element on stage. Such sweet memories for you. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. REALLY well done and inspirational photos. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful reflections of your Dad, love them and loved reading about him :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a wonderful tribute to your father...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a touching story of your Dad. So beautiful, and your photos emphasize the written word even more. I think everybody needs something to "refreshen" the soul as you wrote so accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Amy how wonderful this is! You should frame up a tryptic of these photos. This is neat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful post Amy, and a terrific tribute.
    I love each composition. perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. a beautiful & touching post Amy. what a fun challenge kim presented to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful understanding of your dad and the person that he was. You have shared his essence through words and images in such a meaningful way. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh - this is outstanding ... I loved seeing your fathers' handwriting in the margins. What an amazing glimpse into a life ... thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh amy... i agree.. OUTSTANDING... i have chills....
    truly touched by this in so many ways...
    the last photo... the light... Be still my heart....

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. This entire post is such a wonderful tribute to your father....what a wonderful treasure to have these in your keeping...

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful memories and keepsakes to have of your father! All your photos are lovely, but I agree with Kim about the last one. The light and composition are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this tribute. It's just perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really enjoyed your reflections of your Father...the photos are wonderful! I loved how the first photo is an "overview" shot, then you go on to show the little "details". Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful tribute to your Dad! I adore all of his beloved momentos of his collections. Lovely Amy, absolutely lovely!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amy!!! You blew this outta the ball park. What a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amy, I'm just getting around to reading Friday Finds, and so very glad I didn't miss this post. I feel as though I have met your father through these photos. Your ability to compose a visual image of this person who loved you is completely revealing - and photos such as these need no fancy editing or actions or effects. The simple elegance of a story well-told is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so lovely - such wonderful keepsakes. Love the worn pencil and the glasses - so perfect in this set of images.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love, LOVE this...I could get lost exploring the personal 'touches' your father left behind. Sigh!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my! So well written. Loved a peak into your family,

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails