9.09.2014

happenstance

Lately I've been finding that the most offhand thought/gesture/action yields the best result...I get the sense sometimes that over-thinking the process just bogs everything down...and grinds inspiration to a halt...

In my year long creative class, be still 52, we've been focusing on real life photos...those vignettes composed in a moment's notice...

I had been trying to photograph a trio of my vintage calipers...no matter what I did, I couldn't find an angle or composition that worked for me...frustrated, I started putting them away when the tiny acorn I picked up on my walk with Calvin caught my eye...I literally threw it on the ottoman (where I was taking photos) and it landed in a caliper...I took a shot, cropped it and...


























Cleaning up the dining room table...a stray feather that I picked up from a parking lot over the weekend 
(I know...I pick up a lot of things off the ground), laid it on a stack of ticking to take back to the studio...that looked kinda interesting...grabbed a clock face off my desk to add a third element and took the shot...





























More cleanup...composting the sunflowers I bought at the farmers market two weeks ago...a quick snap with my phone camera before the last of the petals drop off...perfectly imperfect...

Finally...trimming my rose bush last week...snipped a few blooms not yet faded...thought it would be fun to compose a vignette with them...place in a vase...put on my white painted table...add a book...maybe a pair of reading glasses...take glasses away...get out stool to shoot from above...remove book...it goes on and on...nothing is right...once again, putting stuff away...still have one of the blooms in a silver vase...I spy my vintage clock faces in my office...toss them on the table...add the vase...that's it...








































I think sometimes we make more of something than we need to...must remember...simple is the best...
edited with kk texture lookup








































Linking up with kim klassen's Texture Tuesday...more simplicity at its best...

22 comments:

  1. oh Amy... love your thoughts here... i agree..... love real-life still life.... simple... so much.
    and your photos .. that caliper,,,,oh my......
    always inspired by your passion for all things weathered and worn..... beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you loud and clear ... by the time I'm finished shooting I'm not happy with anything! I love what you've done here - simple is definitely the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, Amy. And your words were a direct inspiration for my spur-of-the-moment post today. Thanks for helping me to see that Still Life photographs don't have to be big productions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, these are just grand and yes simple is just the best thing. Sometimes I think I am happy with what I am doing and then I will upload after editing to my blog and not so happy. Man what happened from the time I was happy and when I was not happy that is what I want to know. Yes Simple is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images Amy. I was reading my Mark Nepo this morning. His title for today's thought was "You know too much". Basically his message is that sometimes we think so much that it builds a dam against feeling the moment. Seems like Mr. Nepo and you are trying to tell me something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful images! I'm drawn to simple myself, but I love how you are able to add just a touch of something to bring your composition to the next level. And of course you have so much cool stuff to choose from! I love your calipers image the best- but all are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful, as always, Amy! Love them all.
    You are linked again today, we may share a wave-link? ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos! I like it!
    Hugs Rivien

    ReplyDelete
  9. So awesome how things turn out like that - love the acorn tucked into the caliper. And I love that final image, the angle of the shot, and in how you laid out the text - amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh perfect! Don't you just love it when you turn your brain off and just let things happen? I've been known to collect a few stray feathers myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These photos are so great! Really, I couldn't like them more than I do. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh i am the queen of making things harder than they need to be! :) love your images so much. perfect little vignettes of a daily life. and i am totally swooning over that table top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I hear you, I sometimes spend way too long trying to make things perfect :( Love all your vignettes, just wonderful !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you on spontaneity! Art happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last thing I am looking at before going to bed, now I will have beautiful images dancing in my head.
    Donna aka extremely fickle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, I'm laughing so hard. This is just what I do. I suppose a lot of us do the same thing and the viewer never really knows all the antics we go through. They see the finished product. But then that's what we want to accomplish, right? Your post and images are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amy - these are all so beautiful - and such a great reminder - I create so much in my head that I never had time to actually just "do"

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so agree Amy serendipity one of my favourite things..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved hearing your process through this. Yes, simple is best.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I agree with you wholeheartedly - simple is best. Your images are wondrous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your photos, Amy, simple but special.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails