10.22.2013

Mentor

Every once in a while, there is a person who crosses your path...
and has an effect on you that could not have been predicted...

One such person for me is Kim Klassen...the photography/photoshop maven from Canada.  I have never met Kim personally...but she has influenced my work in a profound manner...

Years ago I was given a copy of Photoshop...it was all the rage and I thought that I should have it...a copy of times I would load up the software...but couldn't really get very far...I'm not much for reading the manual (which I didn't have) and really more of an intuitive learner in the realm of the arts...

As I become more involved with blogging, Kim Klassen's website/blog/online classes crossed my path...more than once...I finally checked it out...and stuck my toe in the water to see if I could indeed make sense of Photoshop and what it had to offer me.  I ended up signing on for Kim's class "Beyond Layers" which was not just a Photoshop class...but rather a creativity class, using Photoshop as a tool for expression.  After the year long class, I signed up for the next adventure, "Beyond Beyond", wanting to expand what I could glean from the combination of photography, creativity and computer technique.

Through Kim, I learned of another class...much different from Kim's style but still mining the intricacies of Photoshop while prodding the depths of one's creativity...that workshop is Photoshop Grunge.

Within Photoshop Grunge, there's been an ongoing series of weekly challenges which focus on particular applications...which help to reinforce the learning...this past weekend, the focus was on Kim...

As one of several contributors, Kim offers a set of textures for class participants to use in their creations...the weekend challenge was to use several of her textures with a simple photograph that would be for Kim...to give her hope for the difficult journey that she and her family is facing...

Here is my photo...edited with a skill and understanding that I would never had achieved without her guidance...her influence has left a mark on my approach to this creative process...and I thank her...
edited with kk texture magicscripted and kk texture tres



















Linking up to Texture Tuesday...over at Kim's blog...such an experience...

15 comments:

  1. So well said, and Kim has been such an influence on everyone. I think sometimes she is a saint. I have had the wonderful pleasure of meeting here and she is just a lovely in person as you hear on her videos. You have done such a beautiful job on your masterpiece here and a loving piece for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful work and my sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful piece and post - I hope Kim has the chance to read it. And like you and Barbara - I feel the same way about Kim - what a gift. She has mentored me along a path very similar to yours and lead me to your blog.....an inspiration to me too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful post! I feel the same way. Kim has truly been my mentor since Feb. 2012, and I have thoroughly enjoyed her teachings, and following along her blog. She is truly an inspiration, in so many ways. Love your sweet flower photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! I've learned so much from Kim's classes too. Lovely image and quote too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, awesome processing. Love Kim's textures. One of these days I'm going to cough up the bucks and take one of her classes. I've already learned so much just from her website and her textures really add to the photos. Kim is a great gift to the photography world and I wouldn't have found so many great bloggers without her Texture Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How lovely, Amy! I learned to use my Photoshop Elements through her classes...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with everyone. Anyone who uses Photoshop should take Kim's classes. She is an excellent, patient teacher who makes confusion clear. I would ask everyone to pray for Kim and her husband, who is recovering right now from cancer and is hoping to go home soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo - I totally agree with you as well - hoping all the best for Kim and her family...

      Delete
  9. A great tribute to KIm. Love your colors and that quote.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a lovely tribute to a lovely lady

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy, this post came at the perfect time. I was just gifted PS, and I keep opening it and just staring at it wondering how to even get started. Such a frontier in front of me, I envy the time and experience that you've got under your belt, but like you and all that have responded, I will figure it out! I already have kim's blog on my iPad...now I'll have to really read her:) beautiful job on your piece...thanks, Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - do check out her classes - you won't be disappointed!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful! Kim is such an inspiration and gentle soul. I love that you all made photos for her!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a very lovely tribute to our Kim. I say 'our' because she certainly has become part of our family over the past two or three years. She is an inspiration and watching her blossom into her own has been delightful. She is so down to earth and has such a wonderful approach to teaching, you, me and many others feel her enthusiasm and skill set in such a way that make using Photoshop doable.
    Your work certainly shows that it all 'clicked' allowing you to create to your hearts content in a very special way only you do with your new found 'ah ha' moments derived from her mentoring.

    You've created a delightful piece here and I love the quote you found ... I will be saving that one to use, perhaps in my calender for 2014.

    Enjoy your weekend.

    Hugs, Joy
    lensdancer@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails