7.20.2012

Art at home




A few weeks ago, I posted about changing up things at home...after 10 years, it was time to do a little
re-arranging. 

The set of vintage Paris postcards that had been hanging in our living room belonged to my mom...she gave them to me shortly after we moved into our present house.  The cards were a gift from a wartime beau who was courting her...he knew that she had a postcard collection so he brought back several Paris images when stationed overseas.  And though he did not win her heart, she did keep the postcards...and 60 years later she relayed this story to me...

Changing the artwork in the living room to an eclectric bird theme meant the postcards had to move...they had been hung in a symetrical grid...duplicating that arrangement might prove difficult.  I had read several times about the tip to make a newsprint template when hanging art...I decided to give it a try...




I wanted to move the postcard display to the dining room...since the cards were mounted on white watercolor stock, the lightness of the prints would brighten the room.  I measured the wall and determined a rough placement...I cut 9 paper templates and armed myself with plenty of blue tape...









A level was extraordinarily helpful for this project...in fact, I find my small level (with a magnet on one side) one of the most useful tools I have...soon I had my grid laid out...

I had one extra of the frames that I used to mount the postcards - this was helpful in finding the exact designation of the nail hole since I could line up the frame with the paper template and make a mark in the same location for each template.  I simply hammered a small nail into each mark, removed the paper template and hung each card...again using the level to ensure everything was straight and aligned.








































And soon all nine postcards were hung...






































The lightness and whiteness has made the dining room brighter...and the postcards are still on display, a daily reminder of my mom.

And I can lay testimony to the newsprint template technique for hanging art-
it saved time, effort and frustration...a triple hit!
linking up to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special...there's always a good tip or two (or more...!)

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails