12.16.2011

Wrap it up



On the downhill slide to christmas...
the decorations are up,
the presents are ready,
the dinner is planned...all that's left is the wrapping!
People usually fall into two caterories in this circumstance...
wrappers or non-wrappers...
and there's just no way around it...
either you like to wrap or you don't!










Keeping with my holiday theme of using what I already had, I extended this idea to my wrapping as well.  Several elements that I used in earlier projects, popped up here again...here's a quartet of ideas for you...




































#1 - sheet from wallpaper sample book + "ribbon" made from striped vintage fabric.
Expired wallpaper books are ususally free for the asking at paint/decor stores...the paper is extremely durable and ideal for wrapping small gifts.  Fabric ribbon is all the rage...make your own by tearing strips of fabric...cotton tears the easiest...you can either notch or pink the edges for the finishing touch.


#2 - sewn dictionary paper + burlap letter tag.
I have numerous old dictionaries...I picked up one that was bound together with metal posts...I removed the posts and had hundreds of pages without a torn edge...I wanted interesting wrapping paper...I sewed six pages together, with red silk thread for extra pop.  All of the pages were from the letter "R".  To carry through the theme, I made another burlap letter stretched in a metal embroidery hoop (details here), tied on with red jute twine.






#3 - old map + vintage fabric belt.
I find old maps intriguing... something about scrutinizing all the highways & byways of a place...the allure of travel...use a map from a location that has special meaning for the gift recipient...wrapped up with another vintage fabric belt, complimenting the colors of the map nicely...a holly twig provides the festive touch.




#4 - kraft paper + drywall tape + holiday napkin tag.
I have mounds of kraft paper, courtesy of numerous thrift stores, wrapping my purchases ever so carefully...but by no means is any of this paper wrinkle free...I crunched it up even more and then ironed it flat with a dry iron...it smoothed out the paper but left the texture.  I used drywall joint tape to secure the paper around the box...love the texture on the tape!  Using another of my holiday napkins, I made a tag with a square piece of corrugated cardboard, embellishing the tag with white paint on the edges and a sentiment of "joy"...thin wire was used to wrap around the present and secure the bird tag with a couple of twisted flourishes at each wire end.









The Southern Man and I spent the day downtown Seattle, taking in all of the holiday hustle and bustle, enjoying a fabulous lunch and picking up a few last minute gifts at Watson Kennedy...off to finish up wrapping myself...need to get to the post office too!

Take a moment for yourself in all the hustle of last minute preparations...the season is meant to be enjoyed!  Take a minute and visit Funky Junk Interiors-Saturday Nite Special for lots of holiday inspiration to enjoy...and then hop over to FOLK Magazine blog for even more inspiring ideas...

14 comments:

  1. I too like the brown paper and twine/string idea...I used it myself this year to go with the Old Fashioned Christmas theme this year...over at Mel's Designs...'N Harmony

    ReplyDelete
  2. so loving your embroidery hoop tag with the matching dictionary pages. brilliant! i have a big old dictionary that i'm getting a ton of use from right now ~ aren't they so fun? visiting from the funky junk interiors link party. merry christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some really thrifty ideas here that are just awesome! Come by on Monday and share them with us at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAY PARTY..hope to see ya there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. So clever, and how eclectically fun! You sewed book pages... and the drywall tape! You make a tedious duty look like a whole lotta fun!

    Shared on FJI facebook and pinned for SNS 112. :)

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150512553096141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very clever and it all looks wonderful. I am not a wrapper but I have no choice. I will follow on my way out so as I would love to visit again. I hope you will find the time to come visit my place and do the same. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and I look forward to engaging and supporting your blog in the New Year. Cheers SpecialK XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What creative wrapping ideas! Love the embroidery hoop and the map. I'm now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each one of these are adorable and definitely opens the door to many more cute ideas...thanks. I use to love to wrap...maybe I can again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dry wall tape? Indeed!! I'm impressed as always...but all of this is just way out of my league!!! (0: hohoho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE the sewn pages! Incredible idea, and the red makes them pop. Time to yank out the machine and make some paper tomorrow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fantastic ideas!! I really love that one with the embroidery hoop -- and the cardinal is stunning as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love to wrap! But how uncreative am I that I stick with the store bought paper and ribbons and bows ... definitely next year I'll mix it up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love all of these, but the vintage embroidery hoop is my favorite! I have some of these and now I know what to make of them; great inspiration. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful wrapping. Feels so organic and earthy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have amazing talent!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails