12.26.2011

Begin...

With christmas over, I always feel that I have this "prep" week for the new year...sorta like getting ready for the first day of school when I was a child...buying new shoes, getting a haircut, sharpening pencils...there is something about turning to the new calendar that refreshes me.  I've been cleaning up my desk and my office...my studio is next but that's a bigger task...I've also decided to adopt a word for the new year...I've been reading about other artists and the word they have chosen...sorta like a mantra...my word for the new year is BEGIN

The seed for this word germinated a couple of weeks ago...I was reading about Cloth-Paper-Scissors magazine request for original art...they were planning a freeArt event...an event where original art would be given out on the street to anyone who wanted it - for free!  I loved this idea...one of the reasons I create art is to share it with others...I have no pretense that I'm creating any great masterpiece...just my own view of the world at any given moment.  I used a digital reprint of one of my original altered photographs and mounted it on a piece of corrugated cardboard, sewing the edges with red silk thread...it seemed to be lacking something...and usually whenever I think something is lacking, I try to fill the void with a word.  And the word that just came to mind was BEGIN...I stamped it out in white paint...it wasn't very bold...but if you looked, you could see it...






































And the more I thought about it, the more it seemed that this word would be a good mantra for me for 2012...just begin...no more waiting
until everything was right,
or until I had time
or until I had all the materials
or until, until, until....ad nauseam...
instead...begin

no more waiting until I master Photoshop to participate in expanding my techniques...I signed up for Kim Klassen's e-course, Beyond Layers

no more waiting until I am a full-time artist to validate my artwork...I am getting my portfolio together to submit to more art shows

no more waiting for the perfect purpose to use my junk accumulation...either its getting put to use in an identifiable project or its being donated/cleared out of my studio so I have room to work

well, this should keep me busy for a while...what about you?  what's your word for the year?

The Lettered Cottage is featuring "word of the year" party...I love reading what inspires others...come on and join me...
The Lettered Cottage
and to keep me honest in what I'm trying to tackle, I've signed up with "Imagine the Impossibilities" challenge...I'll keep you posted...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails