3.25.2010

Beauty in your own backyard

The April issue of Birds & Blooms magazine has a feature article on my book, The Salvage Studio: Sustainable Home Comforts to Organize, Entertain and Inspire.  Written with my former partners while I was a founding member of the Salvage Studio, this book provides inspiration and instruction for 35 sustainable projects to create an enjoyable and comfortable home.

The Birds & Blooms article focuses on projects you can do to liven up your garden and highlights several of the stellar photos from the book (thank you Kate Baldwin!) to provide incentive to get out there and starting creating. If you want the step-by-step instructions, click on the link in the right-side column of my blog where you see the picture of the book- this will take you directly to Amazon where you can buy your very own copy.

















The garden goddesses - featured in the magazine article - are one of my favorite projects from the book.  I love thinking up inventive ways to use stuff that people are throwing away- and people definitely throw away old trophies!  I had a eureka moment when I saw a women at the Goodwill Outlet unscrew the top of the trophy from the base.  It never occurred to me that trophies came apart!  And the victorious woman (or man as the case may be) has a long threaded screw attached at the bottom - so I thought that this could be the perfect finial to an art sculpture.  Playing around with more metal/terracotta/heavy plastic junk with holes in the center and building a monument led to the birth of the garden goddesses.  Again, if you want more detailed instructions, this project is included in The Salvage Studio book.  So what are you waiting for - click here to order your copy now!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails