5.13.2014

Not the usual suspects

Since my schedule is not totally crazed at the moment, I actually had time to plan ahead...more than usual...

I even had the forethought to check what the theme would be for Kim Klassen's Texture Tuesday link-up...rather than discovering the theme just as I write my post and then have to figure out if there is some way to shoehorn the image I have to fit the parameters...it doesn't always work out!

So when I checked and read that the theme would be "yellow", my mind started racing...

Given that its spring and there are plenty of blooms...buttercups, tulips, daisies or dandelions seemed to be obvious yellow candidates...but I thought...surely there are other yellow subjects to consider...it became my challenge...with one simple set-up, how many different yellow compositions could I create...using just what I could find in the house...

I went to work and concocted ten different vignettes...







































Some were more whimsical than others...



























others more arty...







































and some were just everyday practical...



































I didn't spend tons of time on photo editing...all of the above images were edited with kk texture dollard or urban...both textures have a yellow tone to bring out the colors and lighten the image since getting inspired at 3 in the afternoon is not the most conducive natural light situation.  Instead of focusing on photo editing, I wanted to take the time to consider what I could compose that would break conventional ideas of yellow...

It turned into a fun exercise...even got the Southern Man searching around for different types of yellow things...
edited with kk texture 2203 - hue at 75%























and of course in the end...I just had to include a few buttercups...

34 comments:

  1. Gorgeous yellows and great collage! I love your props.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with yellow and so nice to see something different than flowers. I love how you think outside the box. I have a shovel like that except that it is turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, I believe that you and I are like-minded. As I was soaking in your unique photos of things that are yellow, I was thinking, "she should make a collage of these . . . like a study on yellow." And just a few more scrolls and there it was! I love your collage - the variety with different shapes and textures and the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - you are absolutely correct! we are like-minded!

      Delete
  4. Completely inspiring! So very well done - I love all the beautiful yellow objects you found - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barb - after the fact,I found even more yellow subjects...there may be a follow-up!

      Delete
  5. A little Donavan in the background...they call me Mellow Yellow.... Great images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you and I David are probably the only old ones who remember Donovan!

      Delete
  6. Amy! Love the shovel, so pretty! Let me know if / when your going to have another book class. I SO wanted to attend but the date didn't work!
    Happy Tuesday ~ Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. gosh girl, you have a ton of yellow goodies! Love this! I'm doing good to post a few to Instagram these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love a brilliant idea you could start a new trend .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love them all... so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you tied them all together with color. Great design work, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks John! always good to hear from you

      Delete
  11. I'm impressed that you not only found so many beautiful yellow things, but that they were all more or less the same shade of yellow. You have a great eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Claudia...I did cull my selections to keep the tone the same...I had a couple of other possibilities but either too light or too orange...it was a process!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful Amy, exquisite even! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your yellow treasure hunt! Very creative and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and Dotti, it was a treasure hunt...all through the house!

      Delete
  14. Absolutely wonderful. Great creations on the theme. Really love the flowers on the trowel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Earl - I felt that I needed to include those sweet buttercups at the end!

      Delete
  15. Lovely! I love all that vintage stuff!! "4" is my favourite :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this and I'm in such a yellow mood too. Must be the season. I think the trowel is my favorite too. I always enjoy your themes. And I'm still thinking about your last post about living simpler. Me too, although my recent shelfies are proving I'm not ready yet. Too much stuff for sure, but I love my stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just beautiful! And you must have had such fun making them...

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a fun approach to this week's theme - wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So fantastic!! Love all the images.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful layouts! Your pictures were the sunshine I needed today. We have been blessed with rain today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad I could offer a little sunshine for you today...

      Delete
  21. Beautiful still life... all the images are sunny and warm and well balanced

    ReplyDelete
  22. So much fun and so uplifting. Loved you post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yellow hasn't been among my favorite colors for years but I love your vignettes, Amy. Each one is an eye-catcher. I have a thing for ceremic bowls and your yellow one is gorgeous. The buttercups are blooming here too and last week I picked a bunch of blossoms to use in a picture I took of a cute little creature.
    Have a great Sunday!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails