5.09.2014

A new perspective

For the last year or so, I've been thinking how I would like to live more simply...not just in leaving a smaller footprint on the planet...but actually contemplating living in smaller space...with less stuff...in a white house...

I remember the "white issue" of Country Living Magazine a couple of years ago...I fell in love with this bedroom...
source



























Painting my workshop studio white was a first step...all that white does make the rusty metal and the worn wood stand out...the textures more pronounced...which is a plus for me...














When customers at work tell me that they are painting the inside of their house white because they can't deal with color, I always encourage them to rethink that approach...go for a little color...so its surprising to me that I've now fallen in love with white...its calming effect...its lightness...its purity...










But its not just about painting the walls white...its also about a design aesthetic that is cleaner and pared down...

When I saw this book at the library recently, I picked it up and brought it home...I had heard of Remodelista but didn't know much more about it other than it was a design company...







































OK- where have I been!  Wonderful book...with beautiful photographs and concrete information...
exactly as printed on the cover...a manual for the considered home.

Not all of the examples suited my style...but I can still appreciate thoughtful design, executed with grace and quality...

Of course, as soon as I was done devouring the book, I sought out their website...www.remodelista.com ...and signed up to receive their daily blog posts...which is a big hurdle for me...I don't have a lot of time for blog reading (darn that day job!) so I need to cull what I can consume daily...its a refreshing read that I enjoy each morning as I'm starting my day...with daily topics from home decor to travel to textiles to restaurants...really anyplace and anything where good design makes a difference...

So I've been pinning ideas to Pinterest boards...and have plenty of dog-earred pages in magazines...
I feel a change is underway...

its a good thing the Southern Man and I like to paint...

Linking up with Friday Finds over at Kim Klassen's blog...what great find did you discover this week?

11 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts, Amy. This is an eye-opener. I like the fact that you tell folks to add some color when they're painting with white. I am hoping y'all have fun with whatever painting you decide to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good thoughts here! I think more and more of us are seeking simplicity ... be it with white walls or just embracing a 'less is more' approach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your studio space- wow! Funny- I dream of white too, and we moved into a house that is beautifully painted in BRIGHT colors. I think I might need just one white room (but we DON'T like to paint, alas). . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda - yes...one white room (like kim's!) would be perfect - especially for photography!

      Delete
  4. Simplistic, purity, lightness, calming, yep...that is what I'm going for, especially in my retirement years. It makes so much sense, and to me, helps the mind and soul to be at peace in a chaotic world. Love your studio in white!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right Beverly - need all the help we can get to stay calm in this chaotic world!

      Delete
  5. I love this look. I have seen so much of the minimalist in Scandinavian homes. I love white as well. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks john...though you know from seeing the inside of my house...I have a ways to go with the minimalist look!

      Delete
  6. Amy, I hear you on the pared down style. We're headed that way, too. We've lived in our home for 28 years and the walls are still mostly white. I love it! I change my decor quite a bit as photo props come in and out and find white to be the perfect backdrop Thanks so much for the info on Remodelista - already visited their blog and will see if our library has this book, too. Such a wonderful find -the book and a goal to set your sights upon, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have been leaning towards more neutral tones in our house over the last couple of years. But in this house it wouldn't suit it to be completely white

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, you blow me away! I was sure you didn't have a day job. If you did, I figured you didn't have a husband. You are one 'git er dun' gal! (That's what people would say about me but I've slowed down an wakeful lot the last few years. I need some of your energy please. )

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails