2.22.2012

Ahead of the curve




I have collected vintage sewing supplies for years...I have been sewing since I was a little girl...my mom was a seamstress...and her father was a tailor...so I must have gotten the sewing "gene".










Imagine my delight when I saw this photo in the current issue of Country Living Magazine...






































I'm a trendsetter...and I didn't even know it...so I was inspired to do my own take on the photo above...





























I have always admired the sculptural quality of these wooden sock darners...and in addition to these wooden ones, I have a few black painted darners...and a small collection of tissue marking wheels...






































and dressmaker's shears...






























and more than a few thimbles...






































I've always enjoyed working with my hands...though I don't sew my own clothes anymore,
I still find comfort in the methodical rhythm of stitching...I find it calming...

What do you collect?  How does it bring you joy?  I'd love to hear...

10 comments:

  1. Love this post, you do have some upscale collections!! Great photos too. I also have a history of sewing, thanks for the nostalgic memory boost.
    Keep smiling and creating
    PS pop by and see what I nabbed a few days ago..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the sock darners were juggling batons before I read the text! How exquisite is the marriage of beauty and utility in your sewing supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful collections!

    I collect old spools of thread and would like to start a collection of old scissors. Lately I've been collecting wooden hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your collection is wonderful! I wish I would have picked up darners when I saw them, now I can't find them! My favorite is your thimble collections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collections are fabulous!
    I collect: scissors, staplers, Kodak box cameras, oh and Happy Cats from China!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I collect this and that....some of which would make for a great photo...and others....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great collection! I love all things old and chippy! I collect books, they don't have to be old though, antique and vintage silver. I love collecting antique Army stuff. I'm from a long line of military, did 4 years in the Army and my husband still serves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those sewing tools... especially the darners...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't seen the latest issue with the darners. I've collected painted darners, but don't have them displayed at the moment. Never thought of collecting seam markers, though. Now I will. Thanks a lot. LOL

    Lately I've been wanting to sew for myself again. Just need to get moving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I do collect a lot and sewing supplies is among them. Soooo "homey" aren't they. I like your photos of yours!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails