1.22.2011

Getting in shape, part two

As I posted earlier, I was making progress on getting my studio (& my office) back in shape, but it was a big task...
I had to call in reinforcements!  My artist friend, Wendy Lee Lynds, is also an organizing wizard with her company, D'Clutter Bunny.  I bribed her to come help me - lucky for me, it didn't take much!


an aside...alas, the tale of the poor starving artist is true...most of my artist friends have other jobs - one is an art/math teacher, one is an optician, one is a picture framer, etc, etc, etc...its tough to make a living as an artist and so we squeeze it in, during those minutes (or god bless hours!) when all hell isn't breaking loose!

Before Wendy arrived, I had cleared off my work table - only to be left with a mound of stuff that needed to be stored...I looked around for what I could use.  In my closet, I had a stack of plastic shoe boxes, all holding shoes from my previous life, i.e., professional shoes.  I had held on to them, thinking that if I had to re-enter the professional world, I would have the wardrobe still at hand...its been over 10 years...I'm not going back...I emptied out the boxes and donated the shoes to Goodwill.  (ok- I confess - I kept the calfskin black heels and the woven Italian leather loafers.)  Now I had 8 boxes to store art supplies.
Wendy suggested that we sort through all the paper  - wisely she commented that it would be hard to know what kind of storage would be needed until I figured out what/how much I would be storing.  So we began...textured paper, paper with text, cardboard & substrate, patterned paper, maps, magazine clippings, how-to instructions or ideas, etc, etc, etc...  Wendy also commented that its gonna get worse before it gets better...
There were two breakthroughs -
1 - I can see (and walk unobstructed!) the floor of my studio.
2 - I removed the chair from my office which was a pile-magnet.  In its place, I made a worktable so that projects-in-progress can live here rather than on the dining room table.  The work table is a happy marriage between two interesting metal pieces - the rusty metal base on casters has a crank that lowers and raises the tabletop...this is perfect for me since I like to stand and work at counter height when I am constructing collages...even more perfect was the fact that the metal base was free at an estate sale.  The table top is stainless steel - easy to keep clean.  I picked it up at a yard sale years ago...I always knew I would find the ideal use for it.  On one end I attached a vintage towel rack - great for hanging a damp rag to clean up sticky messes.
I love the patina of the crank handle - it has been well-used and now it will be well-loved.  Back to organizing...the piles are whittling down...

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! You have a hospital bedside table as a work table. I love it!!! I want one!
    Great progress on your project too.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails