10.10.2014

unconventional

Its only been in the last couple of years that I finally had the gumption to call myself an artist...since I'm not working in traditional mediums (watercolor, oil, pastel, ceramics...whatever else you want to add to the list...) it is a stretch for some of what a definition of an artist is...

Today I am delivering 12 of my multi-media collages to be displayed in a two person show in a private gallery...there's been some prep on my part to get all of the pieces "gallery ready"  Three of my "temporaries" series are in the group...these are intricate collage compositions that are rather free-form...sewn in place with a dab of glue here and there, it truly emphasizes their ephemeral quality.  I displayed each of them on a board with a bulldog clip, ala clipboard fashion...the gallery director was concerned that they might be damaged and wanted them secured or framed...

I hesitated...framing was the antithesis of my intent with these pieces...I wanted them to be touched...examined...
I needed to figure out an alternative...

And don't ask me how such ideas come to me...which was asked of me earlier in the week of how I compose a collage...I didn't know how to answer...other than it just comes to me...








I removed the bulldog clips from each of the three boards...in place of the remaining hole, I attached a pearl button in one...a decorative tack in the others...then I took the paper composition and loosely sewed it onto a piece of kraft cardboard to increase its sturdiness...














then I nailed it to the board...not necessarily in the corner...but wherever it made sense and would adequately secure the collage...

I breathed a sigh of relief...problem solved...with artistic intent intact...

















Earlier this week, I received a package in the mail...a wonderful gift of ephemera from Sandy of Quill Cottage....as I opened it, I could not believe the content...such exquisite tones and textures...from one collage artist to another, she knew that her package would be well received...I immediately went to work comprising impromptu compositions...
the complete package




















a collage quartet











































and I couldn't resist just a little PS play...








































Joining the group over at kim klassen's Friday Finds...
where my find is gifts in the mail...and the understanding that I am a different kind of artist...
and appreciating that understanding...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails