6.06.2014

the temporaries




I've been working on a new series of collages...a series that I am calling "the temporaries"...

why that name you ask?  because the collage combinations that I am creating are made from ephemera...those inconsequential bits and pieces of paper that usually are forgotten...tossed...destroyed...and are mostly folded...mutilated...faded...deteriorated...

not prime material for fine art...but art nonetheless...












I decided to focus on the less than stellar qualities of these papers...and expose them...let you see the torn and tattered edges...the back sides...the uneven layers. These collages are put together with minimal glue...instead using my sewing machine to add a stitch here and there...and then mounted on office clip boards...it just didn't seem right that they should be framed...under glass...hidden from scrutiny...



















Each collage tells its own story...and is a combination of vintage detritus, current junk papers, interesting odds & ends and recycled remnants of my own notecards with their cropped digital images...



























I've been hoarding so many of these remnants for too long...not wanting to give them up...
but its time to purge...to let go...







































And here's why its been easier to let it all go...I've been making digital scans of each completed collage...and then creating a new composition...layering additional images and textures...continuing the story started with the original paper creation...

Entire image of collage seen at the start of this blog post...







































and here - the enhanced version...


And the beauty is...if I don't like something in the enhanced version, it can be changed...and a new vision created...

another example...the original...

























the enhanced...


























Want to see more of the temporaries?  Come visit me at the Fresh Paint Art Festival in Everett on August 16-17...all the event details here...the complete set of the original temporaries and digital reproductions of the enhanced compositions will be on display...mark it on your calendar...

Joining  kim klassen's Friday Finds...where my "find" is discovering a way to both let it go...and create anew...

19 comments:

  1. I so enjoy your work, I have cupboards of old books, maps and ticket stubs anytime you fancy a swap let me know. I would love to visit the art festival and see everyone's work....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool idea! I've started doing something similar myself...did you see my Fish Eggs version on IG yesterday? You've inspired me to continue along these same lines. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiration. I have so much ephemera sitting around just waiting. It is almost tiring going through it all to find just the right pieces. However, going through ephemera sparks new interest in it. It is like a treasure hunt in a way.
    I love the clipboard "framing."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand why they're called temporaries! These are cool, and if I were so inclined (you know I only have an appreciation of art, not a talent for creating it), I would be inspired to do the same. Good luck at your Fresh Paint Art Festival! I'll see you before then, though. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are really fabulous, Amy! And so inspiring. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. nicely done. i like what you have done with the digital layering.
    the originals are quiet nice also. call me a purist, but i love the texture and dimension that original collages provide.
    have fun at your art festival.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy looking at this art form. I just font have the vision to see collages like this. Really fun to look at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly - you should give it a try - just plunge in - paper, scissors, glue - its not that hard...you'll be surprised!

      Delete
  8. so wonderful! and I am so lucky to own one : ) This IS what I need to do with all my stuff. Please tell me how you stay disciplined to sit and create them...I have all the stuff...the ideas float around the brain...but then were does my time go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where does your time go Cathy - you are visiting fantastic places in SE Asia!

      Delete
  9. I love the simplicity of these, after your digital enhancements these would make a great line of papers

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so lovely! Thank you for sharing your process. Did you use photoshop for the enhancements? They are beautiful and so original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. janet - I did use Photoshop for the enhancements - layering on other original photographs of my own and also additional textures - so glad you like them!

      Delete
  11. I wish I could be at the festival! Will these temporaries be for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The temporaries are beautiful for so many reasons - not just the combination of textures and designs and colors and lines- but for what they say about our culture and our path. Wonderful that you are scanning and creating more from your own creations - art that evolves and is dynamic. It is so clear that you love what you do - and it shows in every collage, every photo, and every word you write. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - always a pleasure to hear from you - and I like your wording of my art as evolving and dynamic - hadn't thought of that before but that's a good explanation for the enhancements...thanks!

      Delete
  13. Great collages, Amy. I always love to see when things that normally would have ended up in the trash become pieces of art. Your digital work is wonderful too.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails