6.03.2014

Nature knows best

Recently I read a discussion about where artists find their inspiration...
some could readily respond...others were frankly stumped...

I thought about it for a moment...and nature immediately came to mind

the variations of color in an autumn leaf...
     the patterns of drifting snow...
          the lines of a graceful tree bough...
               the layout of a spider's web...

as one designer put it, nature always gets it right

and though I may be fascinated with things metal and mechanical, I know that the clock spring mimics the nautilus shell...and that rusty patina is water & air working in tandem on destroying metal...and that paper was originally made from plant fibers...nature always in the first degree...

That's probably why I keep an abundance of crumpled leaves, dried poppy pods, striped feathers, bare branches, forgotten nests, patterned stones and parched wishbones in my studio...to keep inspiration nearby...at the ready...
edited with kk texture dollard soft & gentle, soft light 60%








































Joining up with the others over at kim klassen's texture tuesday...
where the theme is nature...plenty of inspiration there too...

24 comments:

  1. Not only does nature get it right but so does Amy Duncan! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, above, has it 100% correct. You *do* get it right. I love your new banner, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful pieces of Nature, love this still life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is such beauty in your simplicity Amy! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the colour and shapes in your bowl...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an original, creative take on the theme! Lovely, simple, and wise!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm inspired by plants that look like they arrived from another planet --- like sword ferns just when they're unfurling and rose hips. I'm both enthralled and repelled by the carnivorous plant room at the conservatory in Volunteer Park.

    Hmmm, I just visited their website and noticed they have classes on botanical drawing….
    http://www.volunteerparkconservatory.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think its an omen Claudia ...you need to take that class!

      Delete
  8. Ok.....that tape!!! LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, I think this is my favorite photograph of the day - the light, the natural background. the subjects against the terra cotta saucer - you got it just right! And you put into words what I think but cannot express nearly so eloquently. I can picture your studio - and it's a place where I would feel right at home. I recently acquired an old galvanized baking pan, with places for several loaves of bread. You've given me a great idea - to use each section for nature collections.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - can't wait to see what you do with your baking pan as prop - I am sure it will be spectacular!

      Delete
  10. A great take on today's TT theme! I thought of doing something similar but didn't have time ... and I don't have the collection you have, I was going to have to scavenge for them. Beautifully done, beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dotti - go for it - just take anything you find in your yard - I know it will turn into a beautiful photographic image!

      Delete
  11. Beautiful photo, Amy,,,nature is a great inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photo and beautiful words! Very nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful new banner! Love the picture! It is so true, nature does it best, and you know just how to capture it with your images.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally agree with you.....its where I get my inspiration from, too. I have an extensive collection of driftwood, shells, pebbles seed heads etc.
    Love your image....and the words say it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Linda...those little bits and pieces of nature...so inspiring...

      Delete
  15. Wonderful composition. Nice collection of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely still life, and beautiful, simple colours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely and inspiring post Amy! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails