5.17.2013

The beauty of form & function

Last weekend I had a spare moment...and stopped in at an estate sale here in town...I love it when the ad mentions "...have lived in house for 63 years, everything must go..."

I  didn't make it over to the house until the end of the sale...so slimmer pickin's...that's fine by me...
really need to keep my accumulation under control...

My modus operandi is to always hit the garage and basement first...in this case, there was quite a cache of tools in the garage...with one BIG box of screwdrivers...I looked through the contents...and was really struck by the variety, texture and color of the wood handles...yes, all wood handles...no plastic to be seen.  I have an idea of a large multi media collage that I want to create for my summer art show - Fresh Paint held in Everett -
here's what I picked up...all for $2.00...






































the diversity of the shapes and textures of the wood handles captivated me...such workmanship in their construction...no wonder they've lasted so long...




























the shape of the handle providing placement of the palm...and the design within the wood to ensure a good grip...worn patina that belies their usefulness...

I also picked up this vintage black metal lunch box...
did the owner carry his lunch to work as a carpenter or handyman?




























Whatever their prior history might have been...I will be giving these tools a new story...as I work to incorporate them as part of my art assemblage...details later this summer...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails