10.15.2011

Tinker & tweak
































I love to tinker...finding out how things work...finding a better way to put things together...tweaking a little here and a little there until its just right.  The photo above is of a metal measuring tape that I took apart...when I released the last screw from the metal case, its contents sprang out...I was thoroughly intrigued with how it was constructed...but like toothpaste out of the tube, it wasn't going back to its original form...I like to think that its "art" now!

So I had this box filled with all sorts of found parts that I thought would be the makings for pedestals - for display, for entertaining, for organizing...the options were open...
I sorted through it all and came up with some possible combinations...there were finials...and wooden plates; there were spindles...and metal trays.  And then there were pieces that I didn't know what they were, but I knew what they could be...
I went to work...many of the wood pieces I painted black to provide consistency and a common theme.  Some of the wood was so beautiful, I just waxed it with Johnson's Paste Wax to enhance the grain.  I attemped in most cases to use screws or nuts/bolts to attach tops to bottoms to provide a secure fit...if that wasn't possible, Amazing Goop was used as an adhesive...I like the fact that the excess glue can be rubbed off like rubber cement if it oozes out of control...

The final compositions...as you can see, some of my first combinations were tweaked in the final stage...
I had a couple of interesting metal pieces that I incorporated into bases...after I cleaned them up, I sprayed them with a coat of polyurethane to prevent them from further rust and to seal the surface.  I especially like the old saw blade that I used as an additional layer of patina on one base.
The combination of light and dark makes a striking profile...
The tones and colors make for a lovely autumn setting...

Linking up Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special...see for yourself that I am not the only one who loves to tinker...

and also linking up to WhisperWood Cottage Autumn Decor party...which is a talent scouting party for the magazine Cottages & Bungalows...you won't believe all the inspiring ideas...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails