6.18.2011

What once was...



When I saw the theme for Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special, I could not resist...taking an item that once was one thing and turning it into something else is right up my alley.  Disregarding what something once was and instead seeing the potential in what it might be was the focus of The Salvage Studio, a retail/workshop studio I once co-owned but I had the recycle/upcycle bug long before that.






Most of the time I know what the original purpose was of the item I am re-purposing...but with this example, I'm actually not quite sure...was it a manifold cover?  an oil pan?  part of a carburetor from a big truck?  It didn't matter...it is now a flower box for my kitchen window!




























It already had two holes in the bottom, so drainage was no problem.  I attached two iron brackets to the house so the flower box could set securely on the brackets just under the edge of the window sill.  I planted geraniums and trailing vines...our weather here has been cool to say the least so they have a bit of growing to do until it all fills in...I like how the reddish tones of the vines complement the rusty exterior...























































I encourage you to check out the projects over at Funky Junk Interiors...I can't wait to see other stories behind what becomes of what once was...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails