1.30.2015

out of the box

Within this first month of the new year, I'm trying hard to stay true to my words for the year - dig deep

To look beyond the surface...to explore new avenues...follow a different path...

I've been pretty surprised by my efforts...
discovering a few skills and abilities that I didn't know I had...or had merely forgotten...



































Taking a different approach...not relying on the tried and true...

In my year-long Photoshop artistry class, AWAKE, I have surprised myself by taking photos of images that normally would not interest me...and then editing them in new and different ways...leading to an end result that I liked more than I thought possible...and revealing an insight that broke free from my standard artistic view...




























The assignment was to take several photos of an object, each from a different angle...I merged this assignment task with another assignment, which was to focus on how we saw our artistic life...as I took my morning walk, I was struck by the row upon row of boxes of this apartment building...and how I would hate to live in one of those boxes...as I combined two of the views of the building, I struggled with how to make each stand out yet blend together...exploring some of the blend modes in Photoshop that I never use (hard light for example) yielded the effect I wanted...masking, blending, and layering helped to bring the entire composition together.

going off in a different direction...sometimes the best way to go...








































joining the group over at kim klassen's Friday Finds...where my find is the exhilaration of taking new trails and leaving the path behind...

and speaking of new trails...did you read about that I'm taking the Art Party on the road...to Portland, OR...
want to know more?  get all the details here...

14 comments:

  1. The first image is simply amazing and full of warm light, so inviting this time of year. Seeing what can be made with PS in blend modes, layers, and multiple images always fascinates me...always so much to let my eyes wonder around and figure out. Great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the simplicity of your first image! Well done on your art work, too! I like how the colors contrast and the lines repeat! Also, love that last quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such interesting editing! Love what you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful sentence and a fantastic capture :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I smile every time I see your blog header! And your out-of-the-box photos are great. I really love the simplicity of the top one and the marvelous quote. Oh! I would love to join your traveling Art Party but we live too far from one another to make that a possibility ... this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so love that first image ... think I saw it on IG? It reminds me of a pen in an inkwell ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the exercise of taking shots and creating something different with them sounds very enticing. I like the word you chose for the year....dig deep....it can apply to so many areas of life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thinking outside the box, sure makes you create some beautiful art. I spent some time catching up on your posts and you are creating some fantastic art. It just keeps getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your funky street scene, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are all wonderful images, Amy...I love your creativity and your willingness to learn new things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it when we learn new things about yourself, everyday should be a new discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amy, You bring such inspiration to me! Like you, I find that I am taking different kinds of pictures these days, and perhaps that's because I am seeing things differently. It the process that is the joy - and the results are pretty amazing, too! Love the last image the most, but I'm intrigued by the street scene, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That first image just makes me happy...... I keep going back to look at it.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails