11.18.2014

Priorities

With winter making an abrupt entrance, cold weather clothing was quickly pulled out of storage...which led me to discover that my Doc Marten boots had a split in the leather toe...which led to more time than I wanted to spend looking to purchase a new pair of winter shoes...

I'm rather frugal with my money...I'm really quite content to wear my patched jeans, fraying t-shirts and oversized sweaters on most days...I'm in the studio working...fashion is not a priority...

But...poking around online Sunday morning...I spied these beauties on From the Alley to the Gallery etsy shop...and I maybe hesitated a minute before I bought them...
































I have an obsession with adding to my exhaustive collection of old clocks...and giving money to a fellow artist to provide me with inspiration and joy also tops my list of priorities...

I don't know what it is about old clocks...








































its not just the graphic quality of the clock face....







































or the intricacy of the gears and springs within the internal workings...







































its more about the commonality of this household item...and the lives that were measured by its ticking...
hours filled with joy...or maybe sadness...most likely a combination of both...

All I know is that they provide an impetus for my work...an inspirit for which I am grateful... 
(learned a new word today...inspirit...read all about on Pic Me Up, Donna Hopkins blog)







































Joining the group over at kim klassen's Texture Tuesday...
my photos were edited with a combination of kk textures ReverseTTV and Dollardsoft&gentle

24 comments:

  1. Amy, I am so glad you pulled this post together. Honestly, as much as I love your photographs, I am equally drawn to your words - your manner of thinking and careful consideration. I can picture you in your studio with your worn jeans and well-loved sweater, working away, contentedly. I admire that you are careful with your money and purchases, though I suspect that has more to do with your love and respect for the usefulness of things than with finances. Your sense of time . . . working with old clocks to create art . . . speaks volumes about who you are and what you value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are incredible finds...made all the more so by your wonderful images!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful collection of clocks! The old face clocks and watches seem to be of a bygone era, don't they? But they're so poetic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like how you set up your still-lifes and compositions. Nice repetition in #2 between the numbers and the round clocks. -- Michele at Sweet Leaf

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really a lovely post--both in the words and the beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Amy these are so cool, l especially like the one that is all messed up with grunge and water damage. I love clocks anyway and these are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to tell you how much I love your header, really striking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what wonderful comments! And they're all true. When I read what Barbara said about your striking header, I took another look. Low and behold, there's a clock in that bowl with the grapes--which I had not noticed before. Just amazing. Great photos, great combinations

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your insight and the pictures are amazing. Love those old and rusty clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely get the clock love. I used to have my blog banner a picture of part of my collection. I've sold some but they are still scattered here and there. I will have to check out the new word, I've not heard it before either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many collections and I am so glad that I have seen many of them and that you display them here. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful collection of old clocks! I have a pocket watch and my mom's old watches, that's all, but I'm happy about these. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful old clocks. Your last image is fantastic. Clocks to me invoke the image of passing time. So many things have happened and so many more to come. It's about life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your watches are wonderful - love all the grunge, rust, and worn parts. Lovely post too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd much rather shop for old clocks than shoes! Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely the possibility of great stories to go with these clocks. I will always look at clocks differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What incredible finds. No wonder you were drawn in and made the purchases. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exquisite! I would have picked the clocks over shoes too! (although I am not sure that will keep the feet warm but oh my what it does for the heart) Love the layers in your work here - time sailing away. I hope you have the best day ever!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love you collage. clocks are just so…. timely.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your collection of clocks is beautiful. You have such a good eye, Amy.
    Shopping for clocks is more fun than shoes anyway. I hope you find something before
    your toes get too cold though. xo Carole
    PS I hope the 22nd goes well for you. Wish I could get there to say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have a way with clocks and words ... these are beautiful and I love the way you wrote that our lives are measured by their ticking ... love that ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. wonderful... and that fraying paper clock face... oh my...

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails