11.04.2014

perseverance

Last July this volunteer hollyhock sprang up outside of my workshop studio door...
and bloomed with a bevy of beautiful purple flowers...


Protected under the eaves, it continued to grow, reaching upward...
spewing out new blooms along the stalk as old ones faded...

Now it is November...most everything else in the garden is withered...but this stalk has continued to inch along...at almost eight feet tall, the very top continues to send forth a flower or two...














With pelting rains over the weekend, I decided to snip off these top buds to enjoy inside of the house lest the rain beat down the blooms...


















I have to admire this hollyhock's perseverance...against the odds, it managed to survive...and blossom...where others had given up...





It was this attribute of perseverance that I mimicked this past weekend...though I love indulging my creative spirit and I feel that it gives a completeness to my life, it can be tough as a artist to put your work out there...for all to see...and comment on...not always in a positive tone...








For the most part, I'm a self-taught artist...a couple of art classes in high school, workshops or seminars along the way...but pretty much I'm on my own creative vibe which doesn't fit neatly into the standard categories of painting/drawing/jewelry/ceramics/etc...and so sometimes people don't know how to react to my work since I refuse to be pigeon-holed...












But I have conviction in what I am doing...and wouldn't want to stop the creative life I am pursuing...though sometimes I do feel that I stand alone from the crowd...













But make no mistake...I will persevere...







































Joining the group over at kim klassen's Texture Tuesday...a most supportive bunch of creatives...
using kim's friday2014 texture in editing today...

and if you want to read another take on artistic perseverance...
Sandy at Quill Cottage Studio has a fabulous post today on the topic...

22 comments:

  1. Very pretty! That table is a wonderful backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and yes - I'm loving using my new table as a great backdrop!

      Delete
  2. Amy, if you stand alone, it's because you are outstanding!
    You know in your soul you are on course.
    You will not only persevere, but you will thrive!
    I am sure of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jacki - you are so kind in your comments - I will stay on course - another show in two weeks!

      Delete
  3. I love the richness of the color of that brave hollyhock ....it persevered just as you are doing. Believe in yourself :) I thought of you at the weekend when I was at an antique mall and I found a jar of printers letters ! I knew how much you would like them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caz - thanks! And yes, I would have loved a jar of printers letters - did you get them for yourself?

      Delete
  4. I have to agree with everything Jacki said in her comment, Amy...and these photos are beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely; photos, blog, and the story of the persevering hollyhock. I love those flowers, my mom grew them in her garden when I was growing up. I also agree with Jacki.
    Donna
    aka extremely fickle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Donna - those hollyhocks are an old-time favorite...appreciate you stopping by...

      Delete
  6. Rest assured - there are many of us out here who get your art, admire your art, and LOVE your art !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful images! And of course you will persevere ....and then some!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know you have something to offer. Trust that. Just keep offering it not for others, but for yourself and those who it touches will come along and be grateful that you persevered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Sandy Babb quotes in her blog header: "Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing at all." (Camille Pissarro, painter). You are truly blessed, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Christie - tough when one has a bad show...but there's another show in two weeks - I'm sure it will be great!

      Delete
  10. Those flowers rock! I am so glad you saved them from the rains.
    As for your art, I am just grateful to be able to see some of your end results. You are quite talented, in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jana - It makes me happy to see you stopping in here from across the miles...

      Delete
  11. Even though the road is hard there is absolutely nothing wrong with standing alone. That way you stand out instead of blending in :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. But being different is exactly what attracts people to your art! I mean you can only look at so many long necked woman, painted this way or that... anyway...right? :O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Beth - glad I have my admirers...and I need to remember to pay no heed to detractors...just hope they move out of my booth quickly!

      Delete
  13. It's okay to be one of a kind Amy! I think it's a compliment! To be the only one brave enough to make art that doesn't look like every one else's. It's tough to be that artist. Your art is wonderful - just like you! Shell

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy,

    Did you hear me clapping and cheering from my corner to yours? I adore your work, it is inventive, creative, and your knack for repurposing is amazing. I understand not being understood. So what if we march to the beat of a different drum, we can form our own band! This is such an encouraging post my friend, create on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy, Your words are an inspiration to me. Somedays I grow weary of people not "getting" me or my work and this is why the world of blogging friends are so dear to me. I fall back on the belief that if your art moves even one person deeply, it is a success. And, so my friend, you are a huge success and your perseverance will bring great rewards. Love the pictures of the holllyhock - one of my all time favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails