10.14.2014

a tale of old

Four easy prompts...a list to comprise a composition...take the time to enjoy the process...those were the instructions for last week's bestill52 exercise...

So I did take my time...and thought quite a bit about it...and then I put my idea into play...

The four prompts were bread, linen, twine, scissors...now 3 of the 4 were no problem...but that first one...bread...I really didn't want to do the traditional thing...and then it hit me...the eureka moment...
bread is also a slang term for money...

When I'm not digging up vintage treasures, creating art or hanging at home with the Southern Man and Mr. Calvin, 
I work part-time at Lowe's...lately in the cash office...occasionally I come across coins from other countries...which have no monetary value but plenty of artistic intrigue...so its a small bonus...
and perfect for my planned vignette...

"the conundrum of Mr. Albert Halliday"






































Once a popular tailor, requested by the upper echelons of society to outfit them for any grand occasion, Mr Halliday had seen better days.  The advent of those department stores where anything could be found within their walls and taken home with a swipe of a plastic card had diminished his clientele's need for bespoke clothing.  






































The only requests now came from others, like him, who had immigrated from the old country...fleeing from a land that no longer held their allegiance...they understood the quality of a even stitch and the smooth hand of woven cloth...but had no resources to pay for the work...trying to barter their bill with a pittance of old coins and remnants of a dry loaf of bread...










































A little imagination goes a long way in setting up an artistic vignette...and helped to reinforce the lessons of this exercise...as is my mantra - the most ordinary of objects can tell a story...you just have to be listening...

A final collage inspired by my story...
"time ticks on...and the ways of the old world are forgotten..."





































Joining the group over at kim klassen's Texture Tuesday...
all of my above photographs were edited with kk texture plastersquared...
the digital collage is a combination of both kk textures and french kiss textures

23 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Love your unique take on the assignment, and you are so right, the most ordinary objects do tell a story! Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always put such an interesting view in your photography, old but yet modern if that makes sense? Love your approach to the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! So very creative and photographed beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great creativity! I love the still life and the story you told to go along with them. The collage is my very favorite even though they are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your images and post are amazing. I love your take on this bestill assignment, the story you told, and all of those beautiful scissors - and that final collage image - awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.my.goodness!!! LOVE the rusty scissors! Perfectly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible! The collages, the story....love it, love it, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an engaging story and it certainly did set the stage for your imaginative still life shots. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What inspiration you give through your design work and photography! I love looking and now reading the story of Mr. Albert Halliday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful photos and story...they inspired me to follow your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your collage is absolutely fantastic !!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your story. Some things really can speak if we have the ears to hear. Love the final.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that last one with the scissors and the map. What's left ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful Amy, I was entranced!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed your story so much...wonderful take on the prompt! Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fabulous result for the assignment! I love seeing the art you make from such items

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful. Extremely creative. Love the story and images. The last collage is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness!! Great story, great inspiration and great images too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I will never approach my local Lowe's store in the same manner again. Instead, I will be wondering if somewhere in the back, there is a worker, who is truly an artist, and perhaps at that very moment she is formulating a story and collecting bits and pieces that will become the collage of the story. Amy, your pictures are complex yet simple, old yet timeless, and beautiful yet heartbreaking. A lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful story, beautiful collages. Very inspiring. As a sometime seamstress, I found your story very personal and compelling. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a great story teller in both words and pictures! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails