12.16.2013

From the heart, part 4




Once again...Monday...
and the countdown to Christmas continues...

Here's another Simple 6 project...another tutorial in my ongoing series...where I provide inspiration and information to make simple gifts to give this holiday season...because the best gifts are made by hand and given from the heart...









Today I start with metal bookends...these I snagged from the Southern Man's library...

They will be the basis for a simple easel to display a favorite photo...or a special holiday card...or a menu on a buffet table...or reminder notes on your desk...or whatever other purpose you can imagine...this project is very versatile!

Since the bookends are steel, all you need is a magnet to hold a photo in place...I'm going to make mine from covered buttons...




Covered button kits are common at sewing/craft stores...
I often find partial packets at yard sales...

I snapped the metal shank off of the back of the button assembly so that the back will be flat and flush to glue a small magnet...








I gathered up a selection of complementary fabric scraps...lighter weight fabrics worked best for making these covered buttons...






















Buttons complete...
flip them over and glue on a magnet...
















Add a holiday memory...





































or highlight the joy of the season...






































Need more last minute, quick inspiration...check out the first three tutorials in my Simple 6 series...

from composition notebooks to art journals

from old socks and recycled jars to holiday candles

from lone handkerchiefs to fragrant sachets

4 comments:

  1. The book ends are a great idea Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! You are so amazingly talented!
    (I can't wait to give your journals at Christmas!)
    Merry Christmas Amy! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, now I'm on the lookout for metal bookends! Another wonderful, yet simple to accomplish idea!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails