11.25.2013

From the heart

I believe that presents sent from the heart are the best...and presents made by hand make them even sweeter...




With the holidays now in full force, I thought I would share with you each Monday until the end of the year, simple projects that would make great gifts...each crafted from the most common of objects...upcycled into a new and creative use.  They could be used as Christmas or Hanukkah presents...or hostess gifts...or an idea to entertain a group on an idle afternoon...for whatever purpose...have fun...





Art Journals: My custom art journals made from vintage book covers have been quite popular.  Here's a much easier approach to creating a one of a kind journal to record hopes, dreams, wishes and plans...











Start with a school notebook - I like these simple black and white composition journals - available at the dollar store or one of the big box office supply stores...






 



Get yourself a glue stick, a pair of scissors and go on the hunt for scrap paper around the house...you're going to make a collage for the front cover...I have a big tub in which I keep all of my scrap papers...every bit of useable paper from previous projects goes in the bin...






















The secret to making a great looking collage lies in three areas-
   1 - focus on a theme to help you hunt and sort through papers
   2 - keep your color palette limited to no more than three main colors
   3 - think outside the box...or in this case, outside the tub...anything that is paper-like can be glued down...expand your possibilities...what junk mail did you just throw away?  where's that receipt from the weekend movie?  how about the teabag you just used?
























I usually do a dry run of playing around with the pieces of paper I have selected until it seems about right...using one central image for the middle of the design provides a nice balance...a little overlapping of images gives a cohesive flow...after I glue everything down, I often end up adding in a bit here or there along the edges...

I hope this inspires you...as you discover...

it doesn't take much time...






































to explore whatever you have at hand....






































to be creative!

9 comments:

  1. How fun and inspiring! I'm thinking about making something like this with one of my instagram shots...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. go for it Barb - I'm sure it will look great!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks Angie - and thanks for giving me a shoutout on FB! appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. This is actually something I might be able to accomplish. If only I knew anyone who would actually make use of something like this. I'm the only one I know who would. Isn't that a sad state of affairs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and what type of glue do you recommend for this? Thanks, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jana - a good strong glue stick would be fine - makes it easier to handle without a lot of mess - I like the Avery Glue Stic - permanent and acid free (which is good for paper!) And make one for yourself - you deserve it!

      Delete
  5. This is such a fun idea, Amy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog! I googled can lid ornaments and found your beautiful ornaments from awhile back.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails