11.27.2013

Asking the right question...

I'm continuing to pare down/purge/lighten the load...as can be expected, I'm finding a few things that I'd forgotten about...most of which have been happy discoveries!

While cleaning out a cupboard, I found this device, wrapped in an old cardboard tube...immediately upon opening the tube, I couldn't remember this item but I could immediately tell that it would be exactly the kind of thing I would pick up and become attached to...




































I'm a sucker for anything scientific in nature...with such gorgeous numbers!  They are obviously some sort of calibration...and the information on the side opposite the numbers indicates its some sort of thermometer...





































The bulbous end is filled with tiny beads - mercury?













Standing upright in my glass beaker, its the perfect still life...
I know some of you are asking..."What is it?"

My response..."It doesn't matter what it was...but rather what can it be now?"

14 comments:

  1. Well it's a device to measure "coolness" and it is saying that your still life is very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, do you know about the UW Surplus Store? It's open to the general public on Tuesdays and it usually has weird scientific supplies. I did a post about it awhile back:

    http://creativeupcycling.blogspot.com/2013/08/seattles-best-salvage-store-that-nobody.html

    And I bet you used to visit Creation Station. I'm so bummed that the storefront closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia - yes, I do know about the UW Surplus Store - thanks!
      and the place I REALLY MISS - the old Boeing Surplus store in Auburn!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm....a necklace pendant? Part of a bizarre assemblage? A leg of a dada doll?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see how you re-purpose this! I looked it up. A saccharometer is a device which is used to measure the concentration of sugar in a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, dear Amy, I'm waiting with eagerness and excitement to see what you'll do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI...my sister did a little research...A saccharometer is a hydrometer used for determining the amount of sugar in a solution, It is used primarily by winemakers and brewers.
    With that bit of information, it only seems fitting that I was entranced by such an item...and will definitely be keeping it ...and some day incorporate it into a wine-themed collage...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's Wikipedia's take: A hydrometer is an instrument used to measure the specific gravity (or relative density) of liquids; that is, the ratio of the density of the liquid to the density of water. A hydrometer is usually made of glass and consists of a cylindrical stem and a bulb weighted with mercury or lead shot to make it float upright. The liquid to be tested is poured into a tall container, often a graduated cylinder, and the hydrometer is gently lowered into the liquid until it floats freely. The point at which the surface of the liquid touches the stem of the hydrometer is noted. Hydrometers usually contain a scale inside the stem, so that the specific gravity can be read directly. A variety of scales exist, and are used depending on the context. Hydrometers may be calibrated for different uses, such as a lactometer for measuring the density (creaminess) of milk, a saccharometer for measuring the density of sugar in a liquid, or an alcoholometer for measuring higher levels of alcohol in spirits.
    Have fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean - that's quite a bit of info - thanks! I especially like the use for determining sugar content in wine...right up my alley!

      Delete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails