12.06.2013

Sources quite ordinary

As you might have guessed, I don't do ordinary Christmas decorating...can't even remember the last time I did any sort of traditional tree...I like to pride myself on the antithesis of retail Christmas...what can I create that uses ordinary elements with nothing that I have to buy...(to think that I work at one of the big box stores...a girl's gotta pay the mortgage...)

Step One - round up all of my spools of string and twine...
whittled down the numbers by concentrating just on cream colors...
and ones that looked relatively clean...
























Step Two - round up a bunch of finials and door knobs...


















I thought that marrying a spool with a finial might look like a modernist junk christmas tree...

Since I was keeping the vibe for decorating simple, I decided to have essentially a deconstructed tree...the germ for this idea was something I spied in a Ballard Design catalog and adapted it accordingly...

A large branch that had fallen off of a tree down the street from a recent wind storm was dragged home...trimmed up a little...and hung suspended from the ceiling...initially I was a little hesitant to put two holes in the ceiling...but as I was climbing down from the ladder, the Southern Man commented to me that I must have gotten over it...they're small holes...

A little bit of tulle...a string of white lights...a  few vintage shiny brite ornaments...




























Just for a little divergence, I added in one spool of copper wire...as a perch for a stone bird...






































Since I have no mantel, this trio of bookshelves in my dining room steps in to fill the role...
and this vignette brings a soft glow to the room...and helps fill the house with warmth during this festive but cold month...































joining the Junk Party over at Funky Junk Interiors...plenty more holiday ideas...

8 comments:

  1. Love it!! Marrying the spools of thread and the finials made for beautiful "trees"!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Amy! The pairing of the finials and string is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Once again...greatness from nothing! Impressed as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and that last photo makes a beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, clever and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful, Amy! I like to use my large spools as Christmas trees as well. I had put small vintage Christmas tree toppers on top the last years and I love your idea of using finials and door knobs.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails