9.21.2013

Shades of gray

Yes...change is in the air...two weeks ago it was still summer...warm, sunny days, clear nights...but in the blink of an eye...the temperature is cooler...there is fog and dew in the morning...and the rain is returning...tomorrow is the first day of autumn...

Suddenly the summer d├ęcor of the house was out of place...time to change it up...

Seems like most creative types decorate their mantel according to the season...I have no mantel but rather a trio of bookcases/shelves in my dining room that I change out the display according to whim...my current whim is shades of gray...and not just any gray...but the aged patina of galvanized metal gray...






I love galvanized metal...the patina is so textured... hardworking and sturdy.  With the change of seasons, I always think of the fading blooms of a summer garden...and the striking colors of leaves as they turn... preparations for the winter ahead...all of these thoughts spurred my creative spin...
































Though the galvanized gray takes center stage, hues of rust and ochre play a role...dried poppy stems from my garden and pressed tree leaves add a touch of color...balls of twine and a roll of vintage woven wallpaper liner add texture...and old metal type communicates the overall vibe...
Weathered texture, vintage tones, well-loved metal...my favorite shades of gray...
Linking up to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Party...always a favorite...
and to Knick of Time Tuesday Party...another favorite...

14 comments:

  1. Hi Amy, Your gray decoration is beautiful. I love galvanized metal too, especially when it shows its age. The combination with glass and nature elements is wonderful. Aren't wasp nest just fascinating?
    Have a happy Sunday!
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a creative eye for design Amy. This vignette is such a great representation of the season ahead. Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely, Amy...I love all of the different textures...and the colors are perfect for the season. Beautiful eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so ready for Fall! Bring in on!!! Fantastic images...so grungy! Love it. (How's your grunge on-line class going by the way?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Amy, I love gray and galvanized metal. It reminds me when I was a child I used to get bathed in a galvanized tub that my mother put in the bathtub. I guess it was a 1950's version of a plastic baby bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lyn - and bathing in a metal tub - lovely!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful - love the little image of the bee buzzing around all that metal - gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Wyn - I was trying to comment on your work over at your blog but saw no place to leave comments...maybe I just missed it? in any case - love the pieces you submitted for the recent show - outstanding color!

      Delete
  7. Ahhh the shades of grey mixed with string makes me think it's time for a bedroom re-do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful! Especially the tough of orange. I love fall - but in singapore it is the same temperature 365 days a year. Sunrise/sunset will only vary by a few minutes. My mind says it is fall, but my eyes only see summer! It looks funny when I try and put season things out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely display! The leaves are so big! Have you dipped them in wax I wonder? I haven't tried that - i've seen it on Martha Stewart though .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haven't thought of dipping them in wax...I pressed these years ago and they seem to be holding up just fine...but maybe I'll experiment with the wax idea...

      Delete
  10. tin and metals are my favourite! x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails