1.20.2012

Cold comfort









Now that January is here, I'm happy for the clean start to the year...but the weather turns unbearably gray and drizzly (well...actually that's been a little snowy lately...no, make that alot snowy...for us here in the Pacific NW!)   All I feel like doing is staying inside...working...or reading...or cooking...


I just finished reading Gabrielle Hamilton's autobiography, Blood, Bones and Butter.  It was a fascinating read...and not sugar-coated in the least.  In the same vein as Anthony Bourdain's books, you might sometimes think twice about your restaurant meal and what it went through before it arrived at your table...but Hamilton's book also inspired me to go into the kitchen and cook...preparing heart-warming and soul-stirring food...or at least, give it my best shot!










We had a ton of carrots leftover from our annual New Year's Day open house...and there's only so many carrots I can chomp on during the day...I thought I would roast them until they were sweet, soft, caramelized, melt in your mouth nuggets...

raw carrots with garlic cloves, sea salt and cracked pepper...
I added chopped red onion, parsley and green olives to the roasted carrots...tossed the carrots with olive oil, a handful of roasted sunflower seeds and a pinch of red pepper flakes along with some rotini pasta...
with a glass of rough red wine, it provided plenty of cold comfort on a chilly January night...

3 comments:

  1. love your snowy pictures :)
    I never tire of those
    and your carrots look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy your carrots gave me an idea for dinner. Thank you! I've been avoiding the kitchen hoping a little cooking fairy might whip something up for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like you, Amy! Coming up with a FANTASTIC meal with what ya got. I love roasted veggies and have never tried to roast carrots.

    Green beans with garlic, onion, and olive oil is really good roasted, sprinkling with balsamic vinegar when it comes out of the oven.

    Might I suggest you add a link to your etsy shop from your Facebook page. I'm headed over there now.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails