8.20.2011

Wired & wrapped





How many times have you seen something in a magazine or catalog and thought,"I can do that!"  How many of you go beyond thinking and actually do it...

I remember seeing jars wrapped with chicken wire and thought to myself just that same thing....I can do that...and finally, I did...

Over the last several months, I've saved lots of straight-sided jars - from salsa, from olives, from pickles.  I figured that straight-sided jars would be easier to work with since there would be no curves with which to contend.  After I amassed quite a few, I went to work...



I had a small roll of chicken wire...most likely picked up at a yard sale...perfect patina - it had lost that bright gleam of new wire.  I started with a length of wire that I wrapped around a jar to get a rough estimate of the circumference.  I also rounded up my lineman's pliers and my needle-nose pliers (two of my favorite tools)...I knew they would both come in handy...







I started by snipping off the rough edges of the wire mesh (with the needle-nose pliers) so that everything was even and straight.










here's the completed length of wire - all ready to be wrapped around the jar...















After I wrapped the wire around the jar, I just bent back the overlapping wire strands and neatly twisted them in place to ensure a snug fit and to make sure no sharp stray strands were sticking out.
















After using up all of the chicken wire, I still had naked jars...so I looked around...I still had some of the flexible aluminum corrugated metal that I used for my funky crowns...With my kitchen shears, a hole punch and a roll of jute twine, I was back in business.









I "corseted" each jar with a wrap of metal secured with twine...and then wrapped additional twine around the rim of the jar...the twine stayed in place thanks to the screw ridges.


















































I filled some jars with sand and a votive candle...another with flowers...
some of them I hung on a rusty tire display...
What I love about this project is that it didn't take any expensive materials or elaborate instructions...just a bit of ingenuity...eco-living at its best...
I'm linking up to Funky Junk Interior's Saturday Nite Special...Donna sponsors a great weekly link-up, oozing with creative ideas...lots of inspiration for eco-living!

6 comments:

  1. Fun! I really like the corrugated aluminum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Awesome idea! Your jars turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look fab! Really love the corseted one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay...I like the corseted one as well....kinky!!!

    You are just way too crafty for me...these are great but I just don't see myself making something this "practical" (o:

    So...how was the show!!??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from Funky Junk. WOW! What a great idea! I'm totally doing this with some of my glass jars! Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such do-able techniques give the jars such big personalities. These are so much fun. To think that I've been recycling my jars. No more!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails