3.07.2012

A junker's inspiration






























Being a creative junker, I'm always on the lookout for inspiration...and how I can tweak what I see...to fit both my style and my budget.

Last week I received the latest Ballard Designs catalog in the mail...when I was done flipping through it, I did a double-take on the back cover...































Those framed vintage hotel labels looked vaguely familiar...I think I have some of those labels...and then I looked at the price...$79!  And these weren't originals...they were reproductions...I was on the hunt...

Now, I like Ballard Designs...I've bought my share of goods from them over the years...but these framed labels just seemed ripe for a makeover...at a junker's price...

I found my labels...bought many years ago...but still found them online at Laughing Elephant...package of 20 for $8.95
























I hunted through my stash of frames...all gleaned from either Goodwill or yard sales...never paid more than $2...the catalog description for the framed Hotel Palais D'Orsay label was an 11" square...I thought this 9" square came pretty close...and I liked the gold peeking out from the black...

























I found two more black frames that I would use to make a trio...trimmed three pieces of mat board, mounted the labels, cleaned up the glass...and hung them on the wall...






































Here's the comparison -
Ballard Designs framed hotel label, $79 each
























Junker's makeover, $3 each 






































I think this turned out well...
























And while I would never advocate to copy original art, this is merely wall decor...and a more resourceful use of reproduction materials.  I'm sure the frames from Ballard Designs are higher quality...but on my junker's budget, my trio suits me just fine... 

Linking up to Saturday Nite Special at Funky Junk Interiors...the  theme is vintage - perfect for inspiration!

Want some more budget decorating ideas?  I'm happy to report that my brass stencil lampshade is one of 10 DIY bedroom ideas highlighted on HGTV.com...click here for all the details...thanks HGTV.com!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails