2.01.2010

Voeux de Bonheur















Voeux de Bonheur - translated - "Wishes of Happiness"
What is it about the French that makes them so appealing?  They have such a way with words and style that depict the most common of elements as sophisticated and chic.  True, I am enamoured with Paris - its such a great walking city - and by walking, instead of driving, you are privvy to everyday scenes and experiences that you miss as you whirl down the street in your auto.  Perhaps it is these glimpses of a life romanticized that have charmed me.

So I am drawn to French themes in much of my work.  Cleaning out my studio I discovered lost treasures that were the basis of these art creations.  Two more heavy glass coasters were made into paperweight/coasters with a Paris street map as the background embellished with vintage finds.

























I also came across these great cards from a 1935 French Monopoly game.  I made them into hang tags - you could attach one to a gift, dangle it from hook or tie it onto your purse.  The scrabble charms can be your initial or spell a special word.













The paperweight/coasters, hang tags and scrabble charms are all available for sale at my space at Faded Elegance.  Great style tip for displaying your vintage postcards - I inserted the postcard, shown at the beginning of this post, into a small wire flower frog which fit perfectly in the indentation of a Limoges saucer.  The saucer provides a spot for additional embellishments - in this case, an old silk sewing strawberry.  These vintage strawberries were filled with sawdust and steel wool.  Storing your needles stuck in the side of the strawberry kept them sharp.

Time now for happy hour.  I remember my paternal grandfather - who was French - always had a glass of Sauterne before dinner...I think I inherited that gene!

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails