12.19.2014

Unconventional gift wrapping, part 2

I had two conditions for holiday decorating this year...to spend no additional funds on anything needed and to keep it simple...these gift wrap ideas satisfy both conditions!

It started in the fall...I had a lovely bouquet from farmer's market that dried beautifully...yarrow, rose hips, stattice I think...I didn't want it to go to waste...clippings from the yard...lavender, birch twigs, dried poppy heads were added in...











































A snip here, a wrap of wire there, a bit of salvaged ribbon...
I ended up with about 12 arrangements...



















I knew that I wanted some for gift wrapping...but the rest I stuck among the branches of the christmas tree...



















Onto wrapping...I had this roll of paper I bought over a year ago at the Habitat for Humanity store in Yakima (one of my favorites places to shop when I am visiting my sister)...the texture and the lines drew me in...and there seemed to a sheen to it that was appealing...

It was $10 for the roll (a splurge for me) but with 500 square feet, it seemed worth it...and I loved the label...










Next up was gathering something to tie up the presents...can't beat a big cone of string...and a roll of japanese knitting ribbon that my friend Sue gave to me (a freebie she picked up at a yard sale)












Keeping it simple...wrapped present with paper, wound around 3-4 lengths of the knitting ribbon...
tied on one of the dried arrangements...
































I love the texture of the ribbon with the subtle stripes of the paper...



















Next gift...wrapped with paper...used stickers instead of tape...so much prettier...











































the tag is a remnant of torn muslin...the image of my noel bird composition was added with a bit of iron-on transfer paper...just print out your image with a ink jet printer onto the paper and iron it on...its that simple...























Last gift...I constructed an "envelope"...since the paper was heavy duty, I knew that it would hold up to the sewing machine...
oh look...someone is getting a copy of Inspirational Quotes Illustrated!












































After sewing the sides, I used my pinking shears to add a decorative edge...























To secure the flap of the envelope, I punched a hole in the body of the envelope (with a cutting board in between so I wouldn't punch through the back of the envelope) with my awl and then inserted a paper fastener...






















Likewise, I punched a hole in the edge of the flap, threaded a length of string and then secured the flap by wrapping the string around the paper fastener...a quartet of french postage stamps in holiday reds and greens add the final flourish...


























Festive gifts...a treat for the eyes before opening...
Linking up with Funky Junk Interiors Party Junk...its not too late to be inspired for the holidays...

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful packages! I have the dream of lovely packages some day but I have too many to wrap and end up with hastily put together. Plus we always haul a bunch and the pretty tops would be smashed. Now, the pinking shears...I just bought a new pair and used them in a gift project. I was going to instagram a picture of it but haven't yet and say let's bring back the pinking shears! I used to think of it as a dated tool but now it needs it's place again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! They will look stunning under your tree. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I got a gift this beautiful, the packaging would be gift enough for me!!! These are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy you are so clever I just love to see how you create beauty out of some unlikely materials. Makes me look at things in a different way I like that. Thanks for sharing your perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These packages are so naturally beautiful - what an inspiration you are! And each and every photo is a work of art in itself ... love ... have a wonderful Christmas, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the iron-on transfer gift tag!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are inspired and inspiring! What gorgeous packages. the images of the wrapping stages are beautiful as well. You could sell those tags and envelopes in your Etsy shop for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You continue to amaze me. Thanks for the postcard. Merry holiday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wrapping on the presents is gorgeous! I know the ones receiving those gifts are just going to love it too! I hope you have the Merriest of Christmas'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful Amy, what a joy to receive and I think a joy just to watch the process and how cool your mind works! I am a big fav! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. You make the most beautiful things with recycled materials. Too pretty to open!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my - what can I say? love love love all of them and the cans from part one!! I agree with Jacki - so fun to peek into your mind and the process - thank you for showing us! Merry Christmas Amy!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...and - you should submit these to stampington magazine - they are looking for creative wrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are just beautiful Amy! Thanks for sharing your process. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got around to checking out these posts. My hands down favorite, the envelope. Too cool!!

    Have a great holiday! And thanks for the card...really brightened my day :O)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails