7.01.2013

The beauty of books

I love the look of books...especially old books...the color of the faded pages...the design of the different fonts...the construction of the binding...the texture of the covers...which is why I use a lot of books in the creation of my art collages...and which is why I have so many old books...

But its time to start purging...plans are underway for a move...The Southern Man would like to return to his roots...sometime next year, we'll be travelling south...so now is the time to begin to lighten the load.

How fortuitous that my friend Ted of Watson Kennedy Fine Home inquired if I might have some beat up books...you might remember that I collaged the doors of his fabulous shop last year with oodles of old book pages (see details here)...I was happy to oblige his request.

As I gathered up four boxes of books, I couldn't help but become swayed by them...looking through them once more...pulling out a page here and there that was especially compelling...






























Many of the books have seen better days...since several of them are from the early 1900's,
they have a bit of wear on them...






































Who might have owned them...did they cherish the stories within?




















The meticulous binding I find especially intriguing...













Since I knew that Ted was going to be using only the book pages for projects,
I removed the covers that were still intact...








I now have ample supplies for constructing my recycled journals...
I have submitted a proposal to teach this class locally in September...will keep you informed of the details if the workshop is scheduled...









So this has made a small dent in preparing to move...I'm not the only one afflicted with book love...The Southern Man has six bookcases in his office, jammed full of volumes...someone else probably needs to begin purging too...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails