6.11.2013

Taking stock

I've been a little out of kilter the last couple of months...I feel like I've lost my mojo...stumbled on my path...took a wrong turn...whatever metaphor you'd like to insert here...but things have been "off"

I had two shows where I just didn't connect with the audience...and a couple of creative experiences that were frustrating rather than invigorating...

And then I remembered my word for the year, essence...and I realized that I had not stayed true to my essence...

I continued to fill a role that I held before...but the circumstances had changed...

I attempted to have a little something for everyone...and ended up with little for myself...

I hesitated in making important decisions...biding my time...

And in a moment of frustration, pain and exhaustion, which actually lead to broken glass...
it became clear to me...






































I needed to stop what I was doing...it wasn't working...and instead pick up the piece that spoke to my soul...

to focus on my art...and scale back other projects that, while interesting, are a distraction...

to participate in a community that thrives on bringing out the best in others in cooperation, not competition...

to cultivate my creative essence to fuel my dreams...

Interesting that this assessment came in June...as a throw-back to my non-profit planning days, a mid-year alignment was always a good idea...so fortuitous for me...hoping I'm back on track now...

Do you have a word for the year?  How's it going for you?

8 comments:

  1. This was so so good to read. I too have to remind myself to stay true to myself. Many around me offer ideas, suggestions and I find myself veering off my path. Your post was an excellent reminder and also good to know that it must not be a unique situation. I want to stay open to new ideas yet stay on the path I've chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we always need to take time and think about what we are doing...I am transitioning, too. Your post is inspiring...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy, your words today are wonderful on so many levels. Thank you so much my friend!
    Michelle K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Michelle - always good to hear from you!

      Delete
  4. I loved your post - I have been struggling to know what I need to stay true to... feeling a little tired. My word for the year, although I never really knew it until you asked is heal. It is my priority for the whole year. I constantly struggle to make sure I am working towards it and continue to balance all the many other things along the way. Thank you for the mid year alignment. It was needed. I hope the pieces you pick up lead you to where you want to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kim...yes, it can be a struggle...but I try to keep my focus ahead...I hope you do too...

      Delete
  5. great post - I can so relate!
    follow your heart - it won't lead you astray
    my word for the year was balance - yikes - little did I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim - thanks so much for your encouragement...and yes, try to keep your balance...

      Delete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails