10.05.2012

Change for the better

Sometimes things are not as they seem...

On my recent trip to Yakima, I spied these whitewashed wooden buckets...I thought they looked great - wonderful patina, well-worn look, metal strapping...but when I looked closer...the strapping was plastic!  But I had a eureka moment...change for the better...

The bucket on the left shows the original condition...with a set of pliers, it was easy to rip off the plastic strapping...






































My plan was to remove the plastic strapping and in its place to wrap around a length of jute twine...the indentation encircling the bucket would keep the twine in place.  I gathered a few vintage metal numbers since numbers on buckets seem to be in vogue...the small nails that held the original strapping in place were saved...I'll re-use them to attach the numbers to the buckets...with supplies at hand, I began...

































After wrapping the twine around the bucket, I finished it off with a square knot...to this day, I always silently repeat my Girl Scout mantra "right over left and left over right makes a knot neat, tidy and tight" whenever I tie a square knot...












After hammering in two nails to hold each number in place, I was done...




































































I think they look much better...more natural with that hideous plastic removed...
and a perfect addition to my french-inspired booth that will be at Ruffles & Rust next weekend...

and linking up to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special...because its always great to see the inspiration out there...

11 comments:

  1. I love how they turned out! t.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH YES they look better! What a wonderful idea...they are really special now! I'm inspired...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've done it again!!! Taking nothing...and making it into something!!! You truly have the gift!! Very impressive....

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fantastic. I love the whitewash effect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely a change for the better, love the numbers, too.'Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I like your changes, definitely better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful innovation - lemonade out of lemons I would say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A clever move and a huge improvement! Good luck at your next show. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. cant wait to see your booth next weekend! Im sure you have it planned to the smallest detail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. They DO look good! I'm so impressed that you didn't let a little plastic hold you back. Good for you! I'm sure I'd have left them sitting when I saw the straps were plastic. A day or two later I'd have realized I should have bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect upgrade! Your booth in the last posts looked wonderful! I'd love to nose around in it.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails