3.12.2012

A milestone






























Today is the 100th Anniversary of Girls Scouts of USA...it was on March 12, 1912 that Juliette Lowe called up a friend in Savannah, Georgia and told her that she had something for the girls in Savannah, the US and around the world...

You might wonder how I know this bit of trivia...I was a Girl Scout for over 25 years...joining as a Brownie Girl Scout in 1964, going through the program all the way to Senior Scouting and earning my First Class Award... to working each summer in college at Girl Scout Camps around the world... and after collage, working professionally for the Girl Scouts for 10 years.

I have quite a soft spot for Girl Scouting...evidenced by the boxes of cookies I bought this past weekend as part of the annual cookie sale (though I don't need to be eating cookies...I can not pass up those Thin Mints!)

me in my Brownie GS uniform with my two older sisters

But beyond the sugar high, I have fond memories and a strong character, due in large part to Girl Scouting.  I learned to be independent yet work as a team; I tackled projects I thought were impossible and succeeded...and sometimes formulated a second approach when the first failed.  I gained a profound appreciation of nature and the outdoors...as well as the need for community service and helping others. 

I learned how to tie a square knot, make a one-match fire, fashion a sling for a broken arm...and how to convince a local school to sponsor a troop, raise funds for community projects and teach other adults to lead. 




The look of the organization may have changed over the years...I have a vintage wool leader uniform from the 1930's that I wore to the 75th Anniversary party in Seattle...that looks very different from the uniforms of today.  And the badge program focuses on more modern skills than "Storyteller" or "Hospitality" of yesteryear.  But I know that they are still teaching young women today to be independent, strong and community-minded...and for that I applaud them on a 100 year achievement!

11 comments:

  1. My...you were such a cute Brownie!! Congrats on such a wonderful experience with scouting. I was Cub Scout...didn't go any further...but had a great time as a scout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what dedication, I was a Girl Scout and still have my pin (hidden in my jewelry box). I was involved in the early 60's as well. I loved the cookies too..sold my share. Would love to see that 30's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some place I have a picture of me in that 1930's uniform...couldn't find it...I bought it at a yard sale years and years ago...not quite sure what to do with it now. You shouldn't hide your GS pin...I'm thinking of using mine in some sort of altered junk jewelry...

      Delete
  3. THis is my first year as a leader and it's been a great year to join. So many special events have been going on. I'm sorry I don't have my old brownie uniform :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. congrats on signing up to be a leader...I'm sure you'll have many wonderful adventures!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations to you Amy! In the 60's I got kicked out of Brownies on the first day because I slapped a bully and made her nose bleed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole - I laughed so hard when I read your comment...did the bully get to stay in...somehow that doesn't seem right...

      Delete
  5. Since I seem to be having some sort of comment problem with blogger that I can't resolve - I've altered my comment format so I can reply right here...I want you to know that I read your comments and appreciate the time you took to visit...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I'm a 4-H gal myself but I think both organizations offer so much for girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting how 4-H and Girl Scouts were popular in different places in the country...and then when I moved out to the Pacific NW, campfire girls were big...but whatever the group, its all good!

      Delete
  7. I just saw this post. How endearing... and I'm so proud that the GS had such a great affect on your life. When the Southern Man and I were kids in Atlanta, I was in the Blue Jays, the first rung of the Campfire Girls. Then, when we moved here, I joined a GS troop.

    And yes, the Thin Mints will live forever and ever. Cannot resist them. And they freeze so well!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails