4.01.2011

Silverware lamp part II

Part II of my silverware lamp project...in my previous post, I gathered all of my materials and prepped both the base and the silverware. 


As noted earlier, the base received a top coat of paint (well, actually 3-4 coats...with spray painting, it is much better to do several light coats rather than be in a hurray and get it all done with one coat - invariably, you will have drips and runs and afterward kick yourself for being impatient...I speak from experience!)  I left the base alone for several weeks to let the paint cure.

Onto the shade...I decided to wrap both the bottom and the top edges of the wire form with ribbon.  This would give a finished look and would also hide the wire wrapping on the top edge.  I wrapped the bottom edge before I started work on hanging the silverware - I used a dark brown/gray silk seam binding by Midori Ribbon.

I used 40 pieces of silverware for this shade - I alternated between spoons, forks and knives - hung some high, hung some low - all depended upon "the fit" of the pieces.



















I used a length of thin wire, threaded through the top hole of the silverware and then folded the wire in half.  I then twisted the wire to form a single strand, leaving approximately 1"-2" at the top untwisted.  With the short length of untwisted wire, I wrapped this around the top rim of the shade.  I continued around the top rim, ensuring equal distance between each piece.  With all silverware attached, I wrapped the top rim with the same Midori Ribbon used on the bottom, overlapping sufficiently to hide all of the wrapped wire.

And Voila!

































I used a white vanity bulb to soften the light -
an Edison bulb would also look terrific.





I like all the different tones and patterns of the silverware and how the light is reflected.



































I think I might tackle a hanging silverware chandelier...I'll keep you posted!

9/17/11 update - I'm linking up this project to Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Nite Special again...its the Ultimate Repurposing Party...and this by far has been my best repurposing idea - check it out for other creative DIY ideas...and thank Donna of Funky Junk for being such a great hostess!

17 comments:

  1. OOOhhhLLLLaaaa! I love it...You did a fantastic job. How many utensils did you have to use? I better start collecting. A chandelier would be cool...I may have a pic that I took at a great out of the way antique store in Greenville, MS of a chandelier...Dont forget to enter my 100 + follower giveaway over at The Cranky Queen. Keep Junkin' tiff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat! I especially like the twisted wire touch. How very patient of you to let the base cure...not my strong point. Now, where in your home do you have this? I have a bathroom in our basement waiting for a shade. The lamp has been barebulbed for months now. I keep thinking a hodgepodge of paper and ephemera and will hang from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darling! And the photography is very nice too! I think making one is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVE this idea! I have amassed so much silverware over the last couple of years and really never had a plan for it. Now I do! Thanks so much for sharing - you are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I was in a local antique store and they had a new vendor who took the old lamp frames like thisused wire and beads. She did not have one with silverware. There are lots of fun things you can use silverware for.

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE IT! I will difinetly tackle mine as sooon as my remodel gets further along. love, love it thank you for such inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you have GOT to be kidding me! I'm in serious swoon mode over here, jittery with WANT. This is so creative!

    I've featured you on FJI Facebook for SNS 75 this weekend. :)

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Funky-Junk-Interiors/175378011140#!/photo.php?fbid=10150196114311141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&theater

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is gorgeous!!! I have some silverware in a box, you've just given me an idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! I love it. What a fabulous idea.
    ~Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another use for silverware! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amy this is a WONDERFUL idea & looks GORGEOUS....You KNOW I'm filing these ideas away right 'cause you KNOW I just need to 'em try myself....!!

    ....hahahahahaha....I couldn't agree more with the 'patience factor'....I too have learned from experience it is better to proceed slowly otherwise you end up with the 'drip factor'....yeckkkkk....!!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's really beautiful... and I've been wanting to make a chandelier for some time, but can't quite get my mind around it. I'll look for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally love this!

    I bought a bunch of old silverware to try to make a hanging pendant but I could never make it work. Bravo for mastering it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great lamp idea for the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for using that! Great idea! More Gift ideas at www.midoriribbon.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails