4.10.2010

Collage is not just paper & paint














col·lage : kə-ˈläzhl
1:  a creative work that resembles such a composition in incorporating various materials or elements.   
Merriam-Webster online definition

I have an artistic exercise that I practice on a regular basis.  Instead of generating an idea of what I want to create and then search for the materials, I look to the top of my studio table (or desk top) and create a collage from only the materials at hand.  It is amazing the combinations that occur when choice is limited. 
An aside - though I am organized in so many aspects of my life, my desk top (and by relation, my studio table top) is always a mess and I organize by piles of stuff.  I can always find, for the most part, what I need because I remember which "pile" it is in.  Years ago when I was a training director for a national non-profit, I always told my assistant to never clean-up my desk - though it was a mess, I always knew where everything was!

Likewise, I apply this same creative principle, at times, to dinner preparation.  I take inventory of what's in the refrigerator and the pantry and then make a meal from what I have without running out to the store - its kinda like a collage with food!

Thus were the options one night -













broccoli, spinach, red onion and red pepper...I chopped them up and added a little lime juice, rice vinegar, olive oil, salt & pepper.    Then I panfried two tilapia filets...

























warmed up a couple of tortillas, sliced up a fresh tomato and there you have it-
fish tacos - collage style!

1 comment:

  1. I really like your approach to collage. The explanation of your creative approach spilling into other areas of your life is great, too. It seems that collage is so popular these days, so it is very nice when there is someone who is doing such attractive work.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails