6.22.2015

Bit by bit

In May, I had the privilege to be one of the demonstrating artists for the groups of schoolchildren who came to see the Sustainable Art exhibit at the Schack Art Center. The focus of the show was using recycled/upcycled materials to create art...everything from mosaics to glass to jewelry to fashion...no artistic medium was left out.  The school groups enjoyed a docent led talk through the exhibit, a chance to try their own hand at recycled art and the opportunity to see a live artist in action...that's where I came in.  I demonstrated the steps of making a multi-media collage, using all recycled materials.

The process began with a stack of leftover painted wood scraps...I used these as my foundation...


























I wasn't quite sure what would spur me to create...so I brought a suitcase full of materials and papers...
which would also allow the kids to see that just about anything can be used for art...









Since I had recently been rifling through a stack of old photographs, I decided to let them be my guide...I picked out a few interesting faces and began to craft a story, gathering materials...
With each photo, I asked for input from the school group kids...what did they think was happening in the photo...what was the story here...things began to take shape...

Bit by bit, each collage unfolded...
the map in the background expressed the notion that this couple was going on a trip...
but still something else was needed...


























Elements shown here were chosen to add to other collages...but where...
the value of trial and error was discussed...


























In the end, six collages were completed...started by me...and eventually finished by me...
but with plenty of input for the middle stages from the kids...







































Each tells its own small story...with attention to detail and a few well-chosen words and images...








































An art creation...composed bit by bit...













10 comments:

  1. Great Job! These are wonderful! I bet the kids had a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile... what a great project for kids to learn about recycling....and a beautiful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome Amy! You know you've made a huge impression on some young minds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive! And you did it without adding a white flower to any of them!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun to see all the enthusiasm from the children! It is so cool that they saw an artist in action. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so wonderful, Amy! Those lucky kids to have you there as teacher and mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them all, so tough to chose a favorite, but the Burpee is quite divine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy these are terrific!
    Aren't kids the best inspiration? they don't have anything holding them back.
    i love working with kids, i always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Each collage is beautiful, Amy and I love that the kids got taught about recycled/upcycled art. I'm sure they had lots of fun seeing their ideas come to life.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting...appreciate your comments...I love hearing whatever you have to say...even if its just to let me know you stopped by...and I want to respond to every comment...but if you have "noreply-comment" as your email, I can't respond...

worth a look...

Related Posts with Thumbnails